Leviton decora smart Fan Speed Controller ZW4SF

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Fri Oct 28, 2022 11:33 am
turtle offline

Leviton decora smart Fan Speed Controller ZW4SF

I bought a couple "Leviton decora smart Fan Speed Controller ZW4SF" devices (Z-Wave) to control some ceiling fans. These are not on the supported hardware list and I did not find the model number (ZW4SF) in any posts.

I am able to include the device with my controller (I'm told on subsequent attempts to include that there is already an ID for it), however when I request Indigo to then "sync" with the device, the sync times out and I'm told that the device is unreachable or has fallen asleep (as if a battery powered device). I suspect that it is reachable because is in within a few inches of another included device.

Because Indigo cannot sync with it, I cannot get any information from the device settings. How should I proceed? I'm hoping that the best answer is not "Return them to Amazon". I like the device for controlling fans and would like to see it supported. I searched plugins but did not find anything that mentioned the model number.

Posted on
Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:13 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Leviton decora smart Fan Speed Controller ZW4SF

Did you sync without encryption enabled? If not, exclude it and re-include it without encryption.

If that doesn't help, then are you sure the model you bought is for your region? Different Z-Wave module regions use different frequencies and sometimes when purchasing from Amazon the wrong region is sent, in which case it won't be able to communicate with the Z-Wave interface at all.

Lastly, copy/paste the Event Log window results (into a reply) of both the re-include and re-sync attempt so we can see exactly what is occurring.

Posted on
Fri Oct 28, 2022 5:58 pm
turtle offline

I tried syncing without encryption enabled (and with it enabled). I just tried to exclude it by deleting the device from the Devices, however, when I try to include it again, I get this in the log:

Oct 28, 2022, 7:44:28 PM
Z-Wave started controller inclusion mode

Oct 28, 2022, 7:44:59 PM
Z-Wave stopped controller inclusion mode
Z-Wave Error the node included has the same ID as a node already in use by Indigo
Z-Wave Error to change the encryption state of the device you must exclude it before re-including it

There was nothing prior about excluding the device.

Trying to "include" again, skipping to the sync part:
Oct 28, 2022, 7:54:53 PM
Z-Wave started controller inclusion mode
Z-Wave stopping controller inclusion mode
Z-Wave stopped controller inclusion mode
Z-Wave Syncing - started for "006 - Mulitlevel Switch"
Z-Wave Syncing - retrieved module neighbors list: 2, 3, 5, 7
Z-Wave Syncing - assigning return route to "006 - Mulitlevel Switch"
Z-Wave Syncing - assigned return route

Oct 28, 2022, 7:55:27 PM
Z-Wave Error Syncing - failed
Z-Wave Error Timeout waiting for "006 - Mulitlevel Switch". Module might be asleep, or is unreachable.

Whenever I try to include the device, I get that same ID message. Is it possible that this device as the same ID (I presume its a Z-Wave address, much like a MAC address?)?

As for the model, the instruction sheet is all English and refers to the FCC and Canada. The complete model number is DI-000-ZW4SF-02A. I tried calling their support line, but they were "in training" and never returned my call.

Posted on
Sat Oct 29, 2022 11:35 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Deleting the device from Indigo doesn't exclude it from the Z-Wave network. Choose the Interface->Z-Wave->Start Exclusion Mode menu item to put the Z-Wave Controller (Z-Stick, etc.) into exclusion mode then press the button (or do whatever sequence is specified the module's manual) to have it exclude itself from the controller. You'll then be able to include it without encryption and syncing should work. If it doesn't then copy/paste the Event Log contents showing everything (exclude, re-include, re-sync) into a reply.

Posted on
Sun Oct 30, 2022 6:48 am
turtle offline

Also ... I had been running 7.4 and just updated to 2021.1. Reran the add device process, the fan controller was successfully included without encryption, it just fails on the sync process. Tried syncing twice after the inclusion:

Code: Select all
Oct 30, 2022 at 8:40:51 AM
   Z-Wave                          started controller inclusion mode

Oct 30, 2022 at 8:41:29 AM
   Z-Wave                          stopping controller inclusion mode
   Z-Wave                          stopped controller inclusion mode
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - started for "006 - Mulitlevel Switch"
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved module neighbors list: 2, 3, 5, 7
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - assigning return route to "006 - Mulitlevel Switch"
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - assigned return route

Oct 30, 2022 at 8:41:57 AM
   Z-Wave Error                    Syncing - failed
   Z-Wave Error                    Timeout waiting for "006 - Mulitlevel Switch". Module might be asleep, or is unreachable.
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - started for "006 - Mulitlevel Switch"
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - retrieved module neighbors list: 2, 3, 5, 7
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - assigning return route to "006 - Mulitlevel Switch"
   Z-Wave                          Syncing - assigned return route

Oct 30, 2022 at 8:42:37 AM
   Z-Wave Error                    Syncing - failed
   Z-Wave Error                    Timeout waiting for "006 - Mulitlevel Switch". Module might be asleep, or is unreachable.

Posted on
Sun Oct 30, 2022 3:28 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

The log snipped you posted is not showing that you did the exclusion process. It must be done before trying to re-include it without encryption. Exclude, re-include, re-sync, then copy/paste the Event Log window results of all that into a reply.

Posted on
Mon Oct 31, 2022 12:28 pm
turtle offline

My bad - I thought, erroneously, that deleting the included device would also exclude the device. Having formally excluded the device and including it again without encryption, it works now, thanks.

Posted on
Mon Oct 31, 2022 1:58 pm
DaveL17 offline

I'm not saying it's necessarily an issue here, but I always exclude every new device out of the box before I try to include it into my Z-Stick or add it to Indigo. In more than one instance I've bought new devices that were already included into another controller. I suspect two possible culprits -- 1) that someone bought and returned the device (with their inclusion still on the device, or 2) that the QA process by the manufacturer missed an exclusion before shipping.

I don't recall having had trouble with a device when I've excluded it first thing. YYMV.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Page 1 of 1