Sensitive Lux reporting?

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:27 am
Different Computers offline

Sensitive Lux reporting?

I have multiple light sensors, but they're limited in their ability to tell a bright sunny day from a grey and dreary one. This morning it's foggy and grey and all of them report either 900 lux (the max reading) or 100% brightness. And a few just report "on."

Is anyone aware of an outdoor device that is more sensitive than this? I could go with weather conditions as a trigger, but there are so many ways it can be dark during the day that it's difficult to trap all the potential triggers.

(also, I looked for a more appropriate subforum to post this and could not find one.)

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Aug 26, 2022 7:54 am
jalves offline

Re: Sensitive Lux reporting?

Don't have an answer to your specific question, but could you put a neutral density filter in front of the sensor? Perhaps put the sensor in a container with a ND film over the opening?

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Fri Aug 26, 2022 8:00 am
Different Computers offline

I've tried things like this by shading the sensors in various ways, with very uneven results. Also as most of these are multi sensors, I'm concerned any filter will prevent or interfere with motion detection.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Sun Aug 28, 2022 1:47 am
kw123 offline

There are sensors that go up to 100k. - down to .1

In pibeacon several of them are supported.

Karl

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1