Z-Wave switch option

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:42 pm
jltnol offline

Z-Wave switch option

So I just had another GE Z-Wave switch go belly up... this the 2nd in less than 3 years. In looking for a replacement, I ran across this from Leviton:
https://www.leviton.com/en/products/residential/switches-timers/automation-smart-home/decora-smart-wifi-switches#t=Products&sort=%40partnumber%20ascending&layout=card

Didn't get one but just curious if anyone has any ideas of how hard this might be to incorporate in the Indigo without a plugin. It does work with Alexa and Google Assistant(neither of which I have any interest in investing in or implementing), so that might be one avenue of control

These switches are a bit cheaper than the Z-Wave version I got as a replacement, so a little cheaper is better. And while I've been impressed with Z-Wave (over Insteon), I still find including and excluding a pain at times. And sooner or later, everything is going to be over IP.

Anyway... just curious if this might be easy or hard to incorporate.

Posted on
Tue Dec 22, 2020 7:14 am
johnpolasek offline

Re: Z-Wave switch option

For simple ON/OFF control, the TPLink KASA HS200 https://www.amazon.com/Kasa-Smart-Light-Switch-TP-Link/dp/B01EZV35QU/ref=sxts_sxwds-bia-wc-nc-drs1_0?crid=V79AO728R8UC&cv_ct_cx=tp+link+smart+switch&dchild=1&keywords=tp+link+smart+switch&pd_rd_i=B01EZV35QU&pd_rd_r=3473de53-f0d2-477b-9e6e-c7799fc2eabe&pd_rd_w=qJfp3&pd_rd_wg=5XyiC&pf_rd_p=a64002b9-9c26-4361-b8a1-b0f5a4835670&pf_rd_r=XNZE73A08DYMGE869HCC&psc=1&qid=1608642404&sprefix=tp+link+smart%2Caps%2C181&sr=1-1-38d0a374-3318-4625-ad92-b6761a63ecf6 feels a little "cheap" but works fine with the TPLink plugin... I bought a few to replace some Insteons in a detached barn that quit working when we installed a new well pump coming off the common power pole. They work perfectly, but don't have as solid a feel as the insteons and I have no idea if they will be able to handle a Texas summer. But at under $15 a pop they'll be a lot more affordable to preplace than the insteons.

Posted on
Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:23 am
jltnol offline

Re: Z-Wave switch option

Wow

That's a great price

I'll give one or two a try and see.

Thanks

Page 1 of 1