Tasmota Plugin or More Versatile Virtual Device?

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Sat Aug 22, 2020 11:07 pm
mclass offline

Tasmota Plugin or More Versatile Virtual Device?

Here in Australia, we have a limited choice of devices, due to our different ZWave frequency, our small market size and the need to meet local certifications.

This has led me to start using, where security or "non-mission-critical" applications permit, wifi-based devices with http command sets. Examples are Neo blinds (where I created devices using action groups running simple scripts) and Shelley devices (which are not locally certified, and take some time to find their way to Australia as there is no local distributor). Fortunately, those with much greater coding skills have developed plug-ins for both the Neo and Shelley devices.

More recently, there have been devices appearing on our local market, particularly wall switches and wall outlets, that are certified for local use, and are readily flashed to use the Tasmota firmware. I am aware that these have been integrated into Indigo using a number of MQTT plugins. However, these appear to be complex (beyond my skill set!) and require the presence of an MQTT broker

Having scoured the plug-in store, there are a number of plugins that come close, but still require a number of actions and/or triggers to implement. Examples are the Virtual Devices Extension, but this has no feedback of device status - which in many cases might be achieved with further actions and triggers using other plugins such as Ghost XML.

This has led me to wonder (for which I have had plenty of time in our Stage 4 COVID lockdown!!) why (and if) a Tasmota-specific plugin has/could not be readily developed as has been done for Shelly and other wifi devices. A little more wondering has led me to the possibility of someone (much smarter than me!) developing a more comprehensive "swiss-army" virtual device (SAVD! :lol: ) that could be configured by the end user - inserting http commands for on/off/dim, etc and configuring custom device states to reflect device responses and/or regular updates of device state(s). There is a hint of such a development in the description of the in-built Indigo virtual device.

I would be interested in informed comment about the possibility of either of these "wonderings"!

Thanks,

mclass

Posted on
Sun Aug 23, 2020 3:01 pm
Asconasny offline

Re: Tasmota Plugin or More Versatile Virtual Device?

i would love a Tasmota plugin.
yes, it works with mqtt. but i belive it can also be controled with curl like the shellys
I use Tasmoadmin to manage the device witch have auto discovery, and mqtt to control/recive sensor data it with indigo

Page 1 of 1