Wyze sensors

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Tue Aug 20, 2019 3:27 am
ChopOMatic offline

Wyze sensors

Wyze, the company whose $25 cameras have become enormously popular, recently released contact and motion sensors. Like the cameras, they're dirt cheap. Two contact sensors and a motion sensor in a startup kit for $20. Oh, they've also released smart bulbs.

Sure would love to see some Indigo support for these trinkets!

Posted on
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:28 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Wyze sensors

AFAIK, there still is no public API for any Wyse gear. There may be some reverse engineered stuff that a 3rd party developer could look into.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Aug 20, 2019 9:55 am
FlyingDiver offline

This one looks like it might work:

https://github.com/HclX/WyzeSensePy

I ordered a starter kit to play with.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue Aug 20, 2019 10:11 am
Different Computers offline

With a bit of luck, they'll be hacked in a way similar to what happened with the Wyze cameras. That camera project is amazing, BTW.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Aug 21, 2019 7:07 pm
ChopOMatic offline

Keeping an eye on this thread. When Joe starts playing around, good things often follow. :)

Posted on
Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:33 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I got the starter kit. Cute little package. Very small sensors.

I plugged it into a USB port, and I think this is it in the System Report:

Code: Select all
Composite Device:

Product ID:   0xe024
  Vendor ID:   0x1a86
  Version:   1.0c
  Speed:   Up to 12 Mb/sec
  Location ID:   0x14532000 / 50
  Current Available (mA):   500
  Current Required (mA):   100
  Extra Operating Current (mA):   0

But I can't get it to respond using the sample program from the GitHub project above. That program assumes you're using the hidraw driver, which doesn't exist on MacOS X.

So I gotta figure out what driver is going to work with this device.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Sat Aug 24, 2019 12:38 am
ChopOMatic offline

Standing by...

I could cobble something together with IFTTT and webhooks but local is so much cooler.

Posted on
Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:17 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I'm making some progress with this. I was able to get the sample code for the Python module above working with an rPi. It doesn't work on MacOS X because the "rawhid" driver isn't present. But then I was able to query the device using the pyusb library. So I'm hopeful I can convert the WyzeSensePy library to use pyusb instead of the rawhid driver.

I could use some info from anyone else that has one of these devices. I need the info represented in System Information.app. I posted a sample of that above.

Go to Apple menu -> About This Mac -> "System Report..." button. Select USB in the left column, then look in the device tree on the right for "Composite Device". Please paste that info in this thread (use the CODE tags).

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:31 am
ChopOMatic offline

Will get mine posted on Monday.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Aug 26, 2019 11:45 am
FlyingDiver offline

Well, this is looking less and less likely. I've now discovered that a user-level program (like Indigo or an Indigo plugin) can't use pyusb to actually "talk" to a USB device on MacOS X. I can query the device registry and find that there's a device out there, but I can't write to it. That's to prevent user programs from writing to random USB devices (like hard drives).

On Linux, there's the hidraw drive which makes any unknown (to other drivers) USB devices available to user programs. This does not exist on MacOS X. So the only way to use this device is going to be to find (or write) a device driver that will claim this device and make it available via /dev/tty* type device.

I'll be looking into the device driver, but that's not going to happen any time soon.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:39 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

So, the only way to talk to these sensors is to via USB? Doesn't that somewhat limit their usability?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:47 pm
FlyingDiver offline

jay (support) wrote:
So, the only way to talk to these sensors is to via USB? Doesn't that somewhat limit their usability?

There's a dongle that's USB. It communicates with the sensors via RF.

The dongle is normally installed in their camera, and then the sensors become sub-devices of the camera. All of which uses a proprietary app to control.

If you can talk to the dongle directly, then the sensors become available without the camera or app.

This shouldn't be that hard, if I could find the code for a working device driver. I just don't want to write one from scratch. Apple's docs at that level aren't real easy to follow.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:59 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Oh, I see. Maybe the source for the old PL2303 driver might help?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:17 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Yes, that will help. Boy it's been a long time since I did C/C++. This is going to be interesting...

joe (aka FlyingDiver)

Posted on
Wed Aug 28, 2019 12:35 am
ChopOMatic offline

I see it doesn't matter now but I have the Wyze bridge in a WyzeCam that's connected to my Mac via USB, but I'm not seeing a composite device in the system report.