Looking to connect to a standard elevator button

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:16 pm
gadgetfreak98 offline

Looking to connect to a standard elevator button

Hi. I live in an apartment and the elevator opens directly into the apartments in this building. As such, I have a good old standard elevator button in the apartment I use to call it. I would love to be able to use Indigo to be able to call the elevator remotely. And ideally, then use HomeKit Bridge to use Siri to call it with my voice. We are always running late and sometimes waiting for the elevator can be the difference between a made subway ride or not.

Any suggestions? I appears to be a standard elevator button that lights up when pushed and turns off when the elevator arrives. Nothing fancy. Thanks!

Posted on
Fri Aug 02, 2019 8:25 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Looking to connect to a standard elevator button

Can you unmount it and get to the connections in back? Maybe pull the wall plate it's mounted in?

There's probably three or four wires attached. One to signal for the elevator, one to light up the button, and a ground (or maybe one for each). You want to use a relay off some sort (like an I/O Linc) to momentarily connect the two that the button connects.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Aug 02, 2019 9:10 pm
gadgetfreak98 offline

Thanks... that's probably the right thing to do... Sounds scarily complicated though. And my wife would kill me if I get it wrong and suddenly we have no elevator... will read up on it. Thanks!

Posted on
Fri Aug 02, 2019 10:42 pm
Dual offline

Not really that complicated. Take off the cover plate (carefully since the circuit is live) and post some photos of the wires and connections. Hopefully the button/light assembly has some nameplate info on it indicating voltage and whether it’s AC or DC. If so post a photo of that as well. If not and you have a voltmeter (and know how to use it) check the voltage on the button relative to ground (assuming 120 VAC ... could also be a lower voltage AC or DC circuit). Also check the voltage on the lamp when it is unlit and lit. Do you use Z-Wave or something else? If Z-Wave it might be as simple as replacing your button with something like:

Remotec Zwave Dry Contact Fixture Module https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00913ATFI/re ... rDb6B25KMM

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Page 1 of 1