External temperature sensor

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:44 am
peszko offline

External temperature sensor

Any recommendation for an external temperature sensor (z-wave). This is going to be used for things like pool water temperature, sauna, outside air temp etc... (range from -50 to plus 100) Yes, where I am it does go down to -30 with record at -39. So I need to run a sensor probe through a bit of a distance. Currently I use the insteon thermostat and re-wire the internal temperature sensor to use an external one. I find that the temperature is not reliable, not to mention that it rolls over when temperature is below zero and shows 127 (I have logic to account for that, butt... how on earth they made such basic mistake)

I was looking at : Qubino Z-Wave Plus On Off Thermostat Module ZMNHID3 with External Temperature Sensor but I don't see it on supported list for Indigo.

Posted on
Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:29 pm
jltnol offline

Re: External temperature sensor

Let me know if you find a Z-Wave thermometer for your pool. I've been looking for a floating, waterproof battery operated Z-Wave thermometer for exactly this purpose.

Past that, I've got a Everspring ST814, and it does both temp and humidity, and it works fine. Not sure what the temp range is, I'm in Louisiana so we'd get close to 100ºF and down into the 20s, but again, not sure of the range.

Posted on
Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:11 pm
kw123 offline

you can try a platinum temp sensor(eg pt100 or pt1000). I tested the range: -45C to +400C(*) with cold spray and a flame

but you would need either a raspberry (pibeacon) or an ESP .. arduino chip to read them

Karl
(*) that should cover Louisiana

Posted on
Sat Apr 27, 2019 3:57 pm
jasonstn_21 offline

Check out http://wirelesstag.net/

Not zwave, requires their tag manager (acts as a bridge)

I have 2 installed one for my pool and one for my hot tub.

Works great and the temp values can be pulled into indigo via ifttt

I was searching and searching and finally found this.

Page 1 of 1