Support for Energy CURB - 18 port power monitor...

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:37 pm
russg offline

Support for Energy CURB - 18 port power monitor...

Hi Folks,
Has anyone considered a plug-in for the new CURB (www.energycurb.com)? It is a network based energy monitor with 18 CT (current transformer) ports that retails for $399 on Amazon.com, which includes everything, including the CTs. There are no monthly fees.

That works out to just $22 per monitored circuit. It supports a very rich set of features and is extremely flexible and expandable. I have been extremely impressed.

Unfortunately, I am not a programmer, and writing a module is a bit beyond me, but I wanted to throw this out in case it caught the interest of somebody who is. The unit also has integrated power line communications, (and the kit includes a HomePlug adapter) though I don't know if that helps or not.

If it were an officially supported plug-in, it might be possible to acquire development HW.

thanks - russg

Posted on
Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:23 am
russg offline

Re: Support for Energy CURB - maybe via SmartThings bridge?

I’ve had an energy curb setup for about 2 years now. No reboots or restarts, it just runs. I have a smart house, and during the ‘tuning’ of our house I relied on this to help me identify wasteful devices and bad habbits. We have a full electrical house (including heating in Mn.) When the electrical heat ha 5kW geothermal system), we have reduced our power useage to 370 W. Thats lights, fans, TVs, etc. We tuned our monthly electrical bill in the winter from $300 to <$100.

Now, I would like to tie this information to my Indigo setup. Why? For example, I would like to know if the sump pump comes on (watch the circuit power use)., or, if I sense water around the sump pump, but the sump is not pulling any power (ie. broken) I want to know. I also want to know of our 400’ well is running for extended periods. etc, etc. You get the point.

If no one has written a plug-in for the device, is there a way to import readings and events through a SmartThings bridge (EnergyCurb works with SmartThings)? The control is simple: there is only a one way status information flow.

I’m not a coder, but I’d be happy to help validate and test if that would help anyone.

Or, if anyone knows ho to integrate a SmartThings Bridge with Indigo, that might get me there.

Any advice appreciated! Thanks! -russg

Page 1 of 1