Amazon Fire TV/Stick

Forum rules

Questions about hardware that can be controlled by Indigo (but not through the interfaces and plugins listed). If Indigo doesn't support some bit of hardware you're interested in, and you don't find a 3rd Party Plugin for it, add it to this forum. Be sure to include links to as much information as you can find about it.

Note: adding it here does not mean we're going to add it - in fact it's possible one of our 3rd party developers may decide to write a plugin for it. We add hardware/features based on a lot of different factors beyond just having a request for it.

Posted on
Thu Jul 09, 2015 1:39 pm
TOPS offline

Amazon Fire TV/Stick

Hi Guys,

Simple question really, can the Amazon Fire TV or Stick be used with Indigo?

Cheers,

Dave

Posted on
Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:16 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Amazon Fire TV/Stick

Simple question really, can the Amazon Fire TV or Stick be used with Indigo?

To do what, exactly? Trying to imagine what you would do on it in terms of Indigo interaction... It really is running a customized Android OS so in theory an Android app could run on it, but not sure what one has to do to enable loading. But the interface would be clunky I think.

I don't BELIEVE there is a usable interface from which Indigo could get status either.

Adam

Posted on
Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:49 am
roussell offline

I've never been a fan of the "10 Foot Interface" for any media device - rather preferring the concept of a handheld device that allows me to choose a movie, and then play it on the screen of choice. Whether that movie comes from local storage, Amazon, iTunes, VUDU, Netflix is of little concern to the user in my usecase. I just want to see a pretty list of movie posters and names, tap on the movie for more info, and hit the play or back button.

Pre Indigo I had almost this exact thing a while back with VLC and a ton of scripts. It worked well but that was also before streaming became what it is today. I even had a nice "Rossell Theater" logo that spun on the big screen while nothing was playing and the ability to automatically insert trailers before the main feature started. It seems like either the Amazon stick (which I don't have) or the Roku stick/box would come the closest to allowing that functionality these days. Is it possible to Google-Cast from a mac-based background process to a Chromecast?

I'd really love some sort of media-browser functionality built into Indigo - even if it forced me to only use local storage and one streaming source. If I got to pick two streaming sources I'd say Amazon - because I have Prime, and VUDU - because their HDX movies include 7.1 which sounds better in my little "theater"... :) If given three choices I'd add Netflix to the list. Plugin-capability for Indigo Touch and DomoPad would open the doors to allow others to do that sort of thing.

Terry

Posted on
Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:28 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

A/V is a really hard thing to do well/right, in our experience. Witness the variety of moderate to terrible interfaces on A/V devices out there. ;)

I'd love to be able to tackle this one, but I don't see how a tiny company like us can do it particularly well, especially given that we're not dedicated to the task of A/V control. I think what we can look at eventually are some standard A/V device types so we could build-in good control UIs into IT. Another area of eventual exploration will be the ability for plugin developers to create custom control UIs. Neither is likely to happen in the near-mid term because the list of more pressing features is quite long.

[MODERATOR NOTE] moved to the appropriate subforum.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:42 am
RogueProeliator offline

It seems like either the Amazon stick (which I don't have) or the Roku stick/box would come the closest to allowing that functionality these days. Is it possible to Google-Cast from a mac-based background process to a Chromecast?

Man, my setup works very close to what you describe, to be honest... maybe not exactly, but close. I use Plex as the media server which presents a very nice browse / search of all your movies, shows, etc. as well as your additional channels of information. You can view on phone/tablet (which is what I usually do) or at the TV via a Roku, Roku Streaming Stick, Fire Stick, etc. From the phone, you then select the target casting device and play.

What I have is one distributed to all TVs (via a Roku) and then individual Chromecast devices on certain sets on which we might want different content playing. With Plex you can stop the show, cast to a different TV and pick up where you left off. Very handy to retire to another room (wife likes to move to bedroom to finish a movie, by which I mean fall asleep within 2 minutes of turning it on and laying her head down to watch).

It would be pretty cool to integrate completely within the mobile apps such that the Plex style interface was available, but that is a LOT of work for somewhat limited gain. If DomoPad is ever natively integrated with any media service, it will be Plex I think. I have an idea for DomoPad that would make it SUPER easy for plugins (or the user) to add an GUI for plugin devices that I may implement to gain the Plex control... but that wouldn't support browsing still since Control Pages wouldn't provide that functionality and the idea is based on the CP processing.

Posted on
Fri Jul 10, 2015 4:13 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

roussell wrote:
I'd really love some sort of media-browser functionality built into Indigo

I'm working on an IOS app that does this to a very large degree but does it using control pages as the source. Right now it's just for my own use while I work out the various things I would like to do with it but it was the reason I sat down to write the app. I'll be sure to post it up when I finish it.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Sun Jul 12, 2015 10:09 am
TOPS offline

Hi Guys,

Thanks for your replies......keep em coming...Im trying to find a device that will display all my media on a control page, either in list form or even better, cover art and be able to select and have it play on a chosen screen.....Ive been playing with Plex but can't seem to get it to work, have also been trying with AppleTV but again I can't get that to work.....there must be a solution out there? thats why I asked about the AFTV.

All my Media (Movies, Music, Pictures etc) are on Apple Time Capsules and a couple of NAS drives, I just want to have it all centralised within Indigo....(needs to be wife friendly!!)

Any comments welcomed,

Cheers,

Dave

Page 1 of 1