Can Indigo power cycle my Airport / DSL Modem / Router?

Posted on
Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:07 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Can Indigo power cycle my Airport / DSL Modem / Router?

It will queue it and retry every 10 minutes.

Posted on
Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:16 am
kw123 offline

for the insteon modem I am using a z-wave switch to power cycle if its down. Works nicely, had to use it twice (automatically)

for the internet I am using a netbooter with 2 outlets (one for the modem one for the router) $~ 100. It has a web interface with its own ping testing and you can also interface to it through ip or old-fashioned modem - if you like, i have script to do it.

As for the big- mac recycle. I have 2 mac's at home. If one fails I can login to the other and check. But I never had to reboot the big-mac(Mac Pro) in normal conditions. Only when I was doing things to it, installing new software etc.

As for a second internet connection. I have an asus 68 router that has a second connection option either through modem or other ethernet port, but I have not used it .. although charter has its weekly outages.. The second wireless connection costs a lot of money and the signal is weak at my house - I live exactly halfway between 2 antennas and there will be no improvement in the next years as there will be no additional antenna installed...

Karl

Posted on
Fri Oct 09, 2015 8:22 am
brentb offline

Re: Power cycle DSL Modem

Can you be a little more specific, and walk me through creating the Time/Date action and Time/Date trigger to use this script please. I can't seem to get it to work.
Thanks
Brent

dalenis wrote:
Here is the script I am using to check the Internet connection....it might not be pretty but it works!

I created a Time/Date Action with a Time/Date Trigger to check the connection every 5 minutes to Execute AppleScript listed below.

Code: Select all
property this_URL : "www.apple.com"

--This script is based on a shell script from Apple's website called Qwik Ping
try
   set this_result to do shell script ("/sbin/ping -c 1 " & this_URL) as string
   if this_result does not contain "0%" then
--The above line checks for package loss if there is reset modem

turn off "Modem"
      delay 3
      turn on "Modem"
      log "Connection failure!"
   end if

--If error is returned also reset modem

on error error_message
   turn off "Modem"
   delay 3
   turn on "Modem"
   log "Connection failure!"
end try

Posted on
Wed Jan 04, 2017 8:25 pm
thomasw offline

Hi All,
Sorry, I didn't see the request for me to post info regarding my "Automatic Ring Rebooter" or ARR+ device, and where I got it from until today.

Here is the company I bought it from: Computer Peripheral Systems Inc. http://www.cpscom.com/automatic-ring-rebooter-plus.html
I've bought 2 of them from this company, and they work great! This device, it will turn ON/OFF/RESET
the power to the outlets that you have your modem, router, whatever, plugged in to it's outlets. You have to have a phone line plugged into
this ARR+. You can call into the ARR+ and enter the code to either turn ON the outlets, turn OFF the outlets, or to RESET the outlets.
You can set the number of rings it will answer on, and you can set the password code.
These are metal, are also surge protected, and well made. Their tech support is good also. Full disclosure: I have ties to them, I am just a satisfied customer.
Attachments
Screen shot 2017-01-04 at 9.23.05 PM.png
Screen shot 2017-01-04 at 9.23.05 PM.png (86.84 KiB) Viewed 9419 times