Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-06-12 at 1.25.17 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-06-12 at 1.25.17 PM.png (67.22 KiB) Viewed 14970 times

Posted on
Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:30 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Running Indigo as a system daemon

What menu items are present on the Device Group submenu on the plugins menu? And are they enabled?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:31 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

And when you select Z-Wave what happens?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Jun 12, 2013 2:52 pm
Kevin Jonson offline

Not much in the plugins menu. Where should I look for z-wave? (I don't have any z-wave devices, all Insteon)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2013-06-12 at 1.49.50 PM.png
Screen Shot 2013-06-12 at 1.49.50 PM.png (152.23 KiB) Viewed 14957 times

Posted on
Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:28 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Yeah, I guess you can't really enable the Z-Wave interface because you don't have a Z-Stick...

Very odd - the UI is behaving like the plugin is disabled except for the plugin menu. Oh, well, no time to dig into it now.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:46 am
resnick offline

It would be *extremely* helpful if you could make this an actual feature of Indigo: Give a checkbox that says, "Start Server at Reboot" and do all of this stuff automatically. I run a headless server, and logging in (even setting up auto-logging in) is a pain in the rump. Please put this on your feature request list.

Posted on
Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:37 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

It is on our feature request list, but given the difficulty in implementing it correctly (days of work) and the other higher priority items on our list, it is unlikely we'll get to it in the near future.

Posted on
Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:51 am
macpro offline

resnick wrote:
I run a headless server, and logging in (even setting up auto-logging in) is a pain in the rump.

Just out of curiosity, why is that a problem for you?
I'm running Indigo also on a headless Mac mini with auto login enabled and it works fine.
Can control the Mac via ARD if needed.

Posted on
Sat Apr 11, 2015 1:57 am
howartp offline

Not sure if I'm missing the point here, but my Mac is headless and Indigo server starts up whenever the Mac boots?

Or is it the auto-lock you're talking about?

Posted on
Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:12 am
resnick offline

The real problem with auto-login is the need to create an extra user and limit its privileges sufficiently to not make it a security hole. I can (and likely will) end up doing it, but I don't like the idea of my headless machine booting into a state with a user logged in. No, I don't think the maintenance people are likely to bring in a screen and keyboard and try to do nefarious things, but it makes me queasy nonetheless.

I do also control my server with ARD (well, VNC really, but same difference), but sometimes I can't due to low bandwidth.

Indigo is a server that really needs to run full time without user interaction. I hope you are able to get this feature implemented some day.

Posted on
Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:21 am
macpro offline

You're talking about maintenance people. I run Indigo at home and would love to have "maintenance people" (for the laundry, garden, cleaning the house etc.)
What's your situation, if I may ask, because it looks like you're not running Indigo in a home environment.

Posted on
Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:25 am
resnick offline

:D I am running it at home. I was (jokingly) referring to the cleaning human who comes every few weeks, the occasional plumber or electrician, and the cat sitter. (I do travel quite a bit.) The latter is the most likely to do something nefarious. :)

Posted on
Tue Apr 14, 2015 9:31 am
macpro offline

Then I would suggest to lock the Mac in a small cage with enough ventilation holes.
(I do hope you're using a mini and not a huge Mac Pro.)
That would make it impossible to access and it would definitely trigger the cat sitter to investigate further. :lol:

Posted on
Tue Apr 14, 2015 10:02 am
RogueProeliator offline

and the cat sitter. (I do travel quite a bit.) The latter is the most likely to do something nefarious.

The cat or the cat sitter? :-) Perhaps not perfect, but might give you some comfort -- what about setting up the Mac to lock either on screensaver or perhaps via a script (I assume AppleScript or otherwise could lock it) after boot? There would be a small window of time after boot in which it would be available, but frankly with physical access to the Mac you are more-or-less keeping curious eyes honest. Not a bad thing, mind you...

Adam

Posted on
Fri Jun 09, 2017 8:15 pm
jeffrey offline

Since I just managed to get Indigo running as a daemon, I thought I'd post my experiences as an update to this thread.

I'm using an early 2008 iMac (2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, 4 GB) running 10.10.5 "Yosemite" and Indigo 6.1.11.

Things went for me mostly as documented in this thread, with the following caveats...

1. There have indeed been further changes to the plist format, with additional tags having been deprecated. Here's the launchd plist that eventually worked for me. Note that I've also included StandardOutPath and StandardErrorPath tags to redirect output to files under /tmp; this was helpful for debugging.

Code: Select all
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
<plist version="1.0">
<dict>
   <key>UserName</key>
   <string>indigo</string>
   <key>GroupName</key>
   <string>indigo</string>
   <key>Label</key>
   <string>com.perceptiveautomation.IndigoServer2</string>
   <key>KeepAlive</key>
   <true/>
   <key>Program</key>
   <string>/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 6/IndigoServer.app/Contents/MacOS/IndigoServer</string>
   <key>StandardErrorPath</key>
   <string>/tmp/indigo.err</string>
   <key>StandardOutPath</key>
   <string>/tmp/indigo.out</string>
</dict>
</plist>

2. I didn't get any errors in the console about not being able to communicate with the window server. However, I did get errors about the application not being able to initialize. To resolve this, I eventually had to log in as the 'indigo' account. In my case, I allowed the account to have a home directory, so I was able to log in with no difficulty. Once in as the indigo user, I was able to call launchd to start the program as a daemon, and its worked ever since.

3. In another thread (viewtopic.php?f=131&t=18085), I posted about how speech doesn't work when the Mac's login screen is displayed. In that thread, I was specifically talking about logging in as a user, launching Indigo, leaving it running, and then switching to the login screen. Speech appears to work perfectly when Indigo runs as a daemon, whether anyone is logged in or not.

4. Plugins indeed are disabled. The only place where that's bugged me is that the "match brightness" action isn't available, so I'll have to figure out some way to work around that for the responders in my Insteon three-way switches.

Matt, Jay, I know you guys are busy with v7 and other features, but please add my vote for better support of running Indigo as a daemon. :D

--Jeff