Alternative to DHCP reservations for WiFi devices?

Posted on
Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:11 pm
DVDDave offline

Alternative to DHCP reservations for WiFi devices?

Happy New Year!

I just got a new TP-Link AX5400 router and need some advice. I like the router but was surprised to find it has a limit of about 60 DHCP reservations. I know it seems like a lot but many of my devices are WiFi based and I need to specify a fixed IP address to configure them in Indigo. I've pared down the list of fixed addresses to just fit into the limitation but I'll be out of luck if I need to add any more such devices. I really don't want to assign static IP addresses since that is a pain in the butt to maintain.

Any suggestions for a workaround? I'll return the router if I must but it has all the other features I need and seems to perform well. Thanks!

--Dave

Posted on
Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:17 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Alternative to DHCP reservations for WiFi devices?

You could set up some other device (such as a raspberryPi) to be the DHCP server for your network. That assumes you can turn off DHCP in the router, which most allow you to do.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:23 pm
DVDDave offline

Thanks Joe. I just came across this option and have started to look into it. And yes, I can turn off DHCP in my router. However, rather than investing in an RPi for this, I might as well find a more capable router without such a low reservation limit.

Edit: Actually, I'm seeing solutions for using a Mac as a DHCP server. Maybe I can use my Indigo Mac for this.

Posted on
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:18 pm
DVDDave offline

I hit a dead end on a MacOS solution since apparently Apple stopped including a DHCP server a few years ago and there are no 3rd party solutions that run on ARM processors.

So I plan to look more at an RPi solution. Pi-Hole, which seems primarily to be an ad blocker, keeps coming up as a DHCP server solution. Any other candidates I should consider?

Posted on
Fri Jan 12, 2024 12:30 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I run Pi-Hole on an rPi. I don't use the DHCP functionality, but it's pretty stable in general. Also really good at ad-blocking and such like.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri Jan 12, 2024 8:07 pm
Korey offline

DVDDave wrote:
Thanks Joe. I just came across this option and have started to look into it. And yes, I can turn off DHCP in my router. However, rather than investing in an RPi for this, I might as well find a more capable router without such a low reservation limit.

Edit: Actually, I'm seeing solutions for using a Mac as a DHCP server. Maybe I can use my Indigo Mac for this.

Ubiquiti just released this little guy that may fit your bill.

I ordered one, configured it and shipped it off to my parents to replace their soon to die at any moment 2006 Apple Time Capsule..

--
Korey

Posted on
Sat Jan 13, 2024 9:56 pm
DVDDave offline

FlyingDiver wrote:
I run Pi-Hole on an rPi. I don't use the DHCP functionality, but it's pretty stable in general. Also really good at ad-blocking and such like.

Got Pi-Hole going on an rPi and it works great! Loaded all my DHCP reservations using a text file which was so much faster and easier than any of the routers I've used. I kept the ad blocker enabled and will be interested to see how well it works.

Thanks for the help once again, Joe!

--Dave

Page 1 of 1