Life expectancy of minimum Catalina support for Indigo

Posted on
Tue Dec 12, 2023 2:17 pm
sarahcat offline

Life expectancy of minimum Catalina support for Indigo

As MacOS X ages, I'm just curious if there is any technical reason that Indigo support for at least Catalina MacOS 10.15 will be sunset in the foreseeable future. I have a Late 2012 Mac mini running MacOS 10.15 (Catalina) dedicated to Indigo Server 2023.1.1.

I believe that stated support currently goes back to MacOS 10.12 (Sonoma) and as late as MacOS 14 (Ventura).

My most recent M2 Mac runs MacOS 14, but I'd like to use my old Minis until they die or won't be supported by Indigo.

Thanks!

Posted on
Wed Dec 13, 2023 9:33 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Life expectancy of minimum Catalina support for Indigo

Slight correction to your post: 10.12 is Sierra (not Sonoma).

We never plan deprecation of macOS versions. It is strictly driven by Apple's development environment supporting older macOS versions and/or OS versions changing APIs that we are reliant upon (with no viable alternative). We've experienced both in the past and totally expect that we will hit the problem moving forward.

So - no plans to change macOS requirements at the moment. We thought for a while we might have to drop Sierra support, but that turned out to be a bug in Xcode 15's compiler that caused crashes on x86 using a standard C++ feature. Fortunately, it looks like they found and fixed that bug in Xcode 15.1.

We are still recommending that users avoid Sonoma for a while yet - we're still seeing bugs/issues with Sonoma that make us hesitant to recommend it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Dec 13, 2023 7:03 pm
sarahcat offline

Re: Life expectancy of minimum Catalina support for Indigo

Thanks, Jay.

My bad on the nickname. Sierra, predecessor of High Sierra.

I'm running Catalina on my Indigo server Mini. I ran into OS obsolescence with some music software (GuitarPro) that would not run on my ancient MacBook Pro. It required a minimum OS that would not run on my 2009 MBP, so that required a new M2 MBA, which is running Sonoma. I don't plan to use for Indigo. My client Mini is also running Catalina, so I'm more in danger of being obsoleted by having too old an OS :lol:

Page 1 of 1