Security

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2022 11:42 am
jltnol offline

Security

So I occasionally get entries into my log like below, and just assume someone is trying to log in and enter credentials to Indigo, and, of course, they fail. But am curious if this is something I should be worried about or not. I DO have the Indigo port on my router forwarded to my Indigo Server, so I guess closing that and using the reflector might help with this, but am not sure, as someone could just as easily be guessing credentials of the Reflector(unless the Reflector Server prevents this bad traffic from getting to me in the 1st place). This isn't something I'm overly worried about, I think I understand the risks of exposing services to the internet, and it's a jungle out there.... bad actors hit my Synology Server all the time, but never get in. Past that, it would be nice to have a program on the Indigo server that could see these attempts and block the IP address.
Code: Select all
Dec 14, 2022 at 11:11:40 AM
   Error                           XML Parse Error: not well-formed (invalid token)
   Error                           On character 0 of line number 1.
   Client authentication failed - bad XML received (45.79.181.223)
   Client disconnected (45.79.181.223)
   Error                           XML Parse Error: not well-formed (invalid token)
   Error                           On character 0 of line number 1.

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2022 4:16 pm
Different Computers offline

Re: Security

Past that, it would be nice to have a program on the Indigo server that could see these attempts and block the IP address.

either of the Unify plugins might have this capability, if you have a unifi router.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2022 5:10 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

That error indicates that something hit the 1176 port (the port the Mac client connects to) and since the caller has no idea what to say, you get that error. Likely a bot if you have the port open to the outside.

Unless you really want to use the Mac client over the internet, I would close that forward. The Mac client (and anything connecting to that port) will have to authenticate (if it's not connecting locally) so it's not really a security risk.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Dec 15, 2022 9:18 am
jltnol offline

Thanks for the replies.

Glad to know its not really something I need to be concerned about..

Also, Jay... In researching this issue, I was looking at some older saved logs, and noticed that error messages are not saved in red. Guessing this has to do with the Indigo Log having more "abilities" than the text file that is saved?

Posted on
Thu Dec 15, 2022 10:39 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

jltnol wrote:
Also, Jay... In researching this issue, I was looking at some older saved logs, and noticed that error messages are not saved in red. Guessing this has to do with the Indigo Log having more "abilities" than the text file that is saved?

Log files are straight text files, so no text styling is included (this is standard practice for those types of log files).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1