Indigo Web Server stopped responding (version 2022.1)

Posted on
Thu Jun 23, 2022 1:59 pm
PeteVis offline

Indigo Web Server stopped responding (version 2022.1)

My trusty Mac Mini 2012 died a few weeks ago, and after a new Indigo re-install onto my Mac Pro, I have had the latest version of Indigo (2022.1) running fine for a few weeks ... until just now....

Suddenly today I noticed that Indigo Touch failed to connect to the server. Not even the direct connection on the internal network to the correct IP number... it would just time out.

Running the Indigo client on a different Mac, I could connect fine to the server, even the log seemed to receive zwave commands...
Connecting from a web browser to the Server would time-out though...

I then vnc'ed to the server, opened Indigo client on the server and then opened a control page, and clicking the button to open the controlpage inside the browser would also time out.

I then went into the "start local server" dialog, stopped the server and re-launched and all is well again.

I am now looking through the logfile for today, and at first glance I can't see much wrong... There are very few "Web Server" lines though, but only from this morning when everything was still working fine.

What could be causing this, and what (and where) should I look for the cause... so I can find out how to prevent this ?
My previous mac (with an older version of Indigo) had been running 24/7 for years withouth any restart... so I'm eager to find the cause of this...

Posted on
Thu Jun 23, 2022 2:56 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo Web Server stopped responding (version 2022.1)

Are there any errors in the event log that happened after it was working but before you restarted the server?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jun 24, 2022 12:42 am
PeteVis offline

None that I can find.

If I search for the term 'Web Server' I can see a few entries in the morning which are fine... and then in the evening when I restarted the server. Nothing in between.

If I search for the term 'Warning' the only warning that comes up (apart from some plugins that need updating) was when I was quitting the server:
Code: Select all
2022-06-23 21:32:39.259   Application   Stopping plugin "HomeKitLink Siri 0.3.3" (pid 23810)
2022-06-23 21:33:03.944   Warning   process (pid 23810) failed to quit after polite request -- forcing it to quit now

I did find a few crash reports in macos console, about ffmpeg, also pointing to HomeKitLink Siri, but those where from the days before.

Could it be that a plugin takes down the web server ? Surely not ?

Posted on
Fri Jun 24, 2022 9:34 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Each plugin runs in it's own sandboxed process, so there isn't a direct way that a plugin can take down another. But, given that both the web server and the HomeKitLinc plugin use the network, it might be indicative of some kind of network issue on the Mac.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:09 am
PeteVis offline

Apologies for bringing this up again... but it just happened again.

fwiw, I'm pretty sure this has nothing to do with Indigo, because the same thing has happened twice with SecuritySpy which is running on the same Mac, just on a different port.

Simply stopping the server and restarting from the "Start local server" dialog seems to wake it up again.

Indigo works fine, shows no errors... also no crash reports in macos.

Something in macos is occasionally blocking incomming connections... but very selectively...
when Indigo stops responding, SecuritySpy is still reachable... and vice versa. Last week Indigo (touch) was working fine, but SecuritySpy stopped responding.
Logging into the local machine, everything seems to be working perfectly, but remotely (even inside the local network) it sometimes stops working.

Is there anything inside macos that could be causing this ?
I do have the firewall enabled, but I've always had it enabled....

Any insight what could be causing this is appreciated...

Posted on
Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:26 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I would temporarily disable the firewall just to make sure that isn’t the issue. It could be an OS update has introduced some sporadic bug.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:40 am
PeteVis offline

Ok, I'll try that.

Just a quick question, if I set up a clean new user, do I need to de-authorize my Indigo licence, to switch from the current user to the new ? Or is the licence tied to the Mac ?

Posted on
Thu Jul 07, 2022 12:09 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

You shouldn't, but there are a few things you should know when running Indigo from a different user: 1) the user must have admin permissions 2) the user has to be logged in for the server to run 3) Indigo must be installed from that same user account so you will probably have to rerun the installer so it can correct all the permission issues that will happen when switching users.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Page 1 of 1