Shell Script Problem

Posted on
Mon Jul 05, 2021 2:40 pm
jltnol offline

Shell Script Problem

So this isn't really a problem with Indigo, but I'm still hoping for some insight. I have a schedule in Indigo that runs a shell script that starts up a DMX Lighting program. This has worked really well, but lately the DMX program has been crashing, or so it seems. My first thought was something was different in the new version of Indigo that was causing this to happen, but I've done my homework and that doesn't seem to be the case. If I manually launch the DMX program, it runs perfectly without crashing. But, if I launch the program using Terminal and the same shell script that Indigo uses, the program will launch and run normally, but as soon as I quit the Terminal app, the DMX program quits as well. This is basically the same problem when Indigo ran the script...About 25 minutes after Indigo runs the shell script, the DMX program crashes and I get this error message:
Code: Select all
Action Collection Error         Run Shell Script action: script /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Scripts/Shell/QLCStart.sh exited abnormally with a return code of: 139

so I'm half-way guessing that after a certain period of time, Indigo "times out" the shell script, which does the same thing as me quitting Terminal, resulting in the program crashing.

I realize this is way out the prevue of Indigo, but is there something I can add to my shell script that would exit it gracefully without causing the DMX program to crash? I've tried adding
exit 0
and just
exit
but neither worked.

Any suggestions or hints welcome, and Thanks in Advance...

Posted on
Mon Jul 05, 2021 3:33 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Shell Script Problem

Post the script itself. And exactly how you’re running it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:02 pm
jltnol offline

#!/bin/bash

/Applications/QLC+.app/Contents/MacOS/qlcplus -o /Users/kitchen/Documents/QLCDocs/2021-summer.qxw -p

That's it. This runs as a schedule in Indigo. It opens the app and the file that makes it all run...

Posted on
Wed Jul 07, 2021 9:55 am
jltnol offline

So long story short, when I started on this DMX escapade, the DMX program was running on a separate computer, and it was set to turn on early evening and then off about 10:30pm, so as to not run unnecessarily overnight and all day long. The script was written to open the file and put the program in "Operation" mode, so Indigo could tell the program what to do via OSC. It worked great.

In making a bunch of computer changes, I had moved the DMX program to the same computer that runs my Indigo server, and since the server is running 24/7, I can leave the program open and running as well. Its still a bit odd that this used to work and now doesn't... but I'm guessing some OS update recently has caused this new, unwanted behavior.

BUT, if anyone knows a work around, I'd be happy to give it a try!

Posted on
Wed Jul 07, 2021 10:23 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

It appears that the command that you're using in the bash script is never returning until the command crashes. Not sure how to fix that since it's the application that's got the problem.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Jul 09, 2021 2:36 pm
jltnol offline

I also read that while doing this in Terminal, Terminal is the parent app, and the DMX program the child... so when the parent quits, so does the attached child. Half way makes sense, and would explain why when using the shell command with Terminal, the app just quits... no messages..... But when I run the same shell script in Indigo, the app actually crashes... "Do you want to report to Apple.....?"

I'm just not going to worry about this any more and my "leave it open" solution also solves another issue with the DMX program.. :)

Thanks for your help and insight.

Page 1 of 1