More repeating log entries

Posted on
Wed Dec 23, 2020 2:17 pm
makedrinklas offline

More repeating log entries

Hi all,

Well I had previously asked the question about errant devices sending messages. The thought was noise, and I have moved everything around and replaced the modem. Up until last week, things have been much better. However, we took a brief (safe) road trip to see a relative and during that time, approximately every second, I noticed a repeating message , " Received X10 J10 status request" for several days, 24 hours a day. I do not have any device configured that even begins with a J. It prevented me from seeing any other messages there were so many. When we arrived home it simply stopped. Thoughts?

Second question, and this has probably been answered a million times, but my X10 devices have stopped responding to control several months ago. I can receive X10 signals that are transmitted (motion detectors), but no devices respond, The motion detector are able to turn on nearby lights with a local transceiver. Transitioning to Insteon so not a super big deal, just a 220 volt appliance module and a few others. There is also a whole house surge now in our primary panel. Would I have my modem on a filter? Both UPS's near the Indigo Mac?

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Mike

Posted on
Wed Dec 23, 2020 3:14 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: More repeating log entries

makedrinklas wrote:
I noticed a repeating message , " Received X10 J10 status request" for several days, 24 hours a day. I do not have any device configured that even begins with a J. It prevented me from seeing any other messages there were so many. When we arrived home it simply stopped. Thoughts?

This is quite common, and indicates some kind of signal issue. Often it's a failing Insteon or X10 device, but even old power strips and transformers nearing their end of life can generate signal attenuation that looks to the PowerLinc like X10 traffic.

makedrinklas wrote:
Second question, and this has probably been answered a million times, but my X10 devices have stopped responding to control several months ago. I can receive X10 signals that are transmitted (motion detectors), but no devices respond, The motion detector are able to turn on nearby lights with a local transceiver. Transitioning to Insteon so not a super big deal, just a 220 volt appliance module and a few others. There is also a whole house surge now in our primary panel. Would I have my modem on a filter? Both UPS's near the Indigo Mac?

Again, likely it's signal noise. The further away (in terms of circuit layout) the more likely that something is introducing noise and the X10 signals just get sucked up. You don't want the PowerLinc on a filter as it would filter out the good Insteon traffic. Filters on the UPS's are always a good plan though because those things are notorious for creating signal noise.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:27 pm
makedrinklas offline

Re: More repeating J19, J8 log entries SOLVED

No ghosts in the machine. This non stop repeating J10, J8 house code status request issue was the result of having an LED bulb installed in a two wire Insteon dimmer switch. Easy to forget that they can only work with incandescent and halogen bulbs. (ONLY the two wire version). Kudos to the PA team for suggesting I watch the log (10 feet away fortunately) while flipping breakers in my basement. Quickly narrowed down the circuit (old, no neutral) as the messages stopped each time I hit that one breaker. Only one device in that chain and it was also one that was not working properly. Not fully turning off, flickering, etc.

Hope this helps some other lost home automation addicted soul amidst this pandemic and etc. So hard to attempt fixing anything these days when so much seems broken.

Peace,

Ps: I think the house code J stands for Jay so he can have a chuckle when things go bad and people don’t RTFM. :D

Posted on
Fri Jan 15, 2021 10:26 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: More repeating J19, J8 log entries SOLVED

makedrinklas wrote:
Ps: I think the house code J stands for Jay so he can have a chuckle when things go bad and people don’t RTFM. :D

:shock: :twisted:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jan 24, 2021 8:05 pm
makedrinklas offline

Re: More repeating log entries

:cry: Well... sorry. The J10 code is still showing up in the log. I purchased two new filters for the UPS’s closest to the modem and moved an existing filter to a freezer near there as well. I am sure that one old circuit killed the messages, but even removing the two wire Insteon dimmer has had no effect. Nor swapping the bulb as I mentioned. I still see the haunted J10 messages.

I will search further to see if any other Insteon or x10’s are on that zero neutral circuit. Still chasing noise. Or any other source. The X10 universal module nearby that responds to water sensors is still not sending signals. Replacing that with an Insteon module and have just added about 10-12 more Insteon devices after a remodel. $$$! Fingers crossed.
Attachments
B733EAD4-3C47-4898-964D-76F7AF6B95B8.png
J10’s forever?
B733EAD4-3C47-4898-964D-76F7AF6B95B8.png (369.09 KiB) Viewed 1150 times

Page 1 of 1