Stick with version 6 or upgrade to version 7.4??

Posted on
Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:55 pm
kyphos offline

Stick with version 6 or upgrade to version 7.4??

I have Indigo 6.1.11 running on an old Mac mini (with Lion 10.7.5).
It's an old Mac mini (2,1) -- Lion was the end of the road for that model so it can't be upgraded any further.

My endpoints are mostly Insteon, with a smattering of really old X-10 lamp switches.

Is there any reason not to upgrade to Indigo 7.4?
I don't have any scripts, so the loss of AppleScript support in v7 is not an issue.

The system has been working just fine for 5+ years, and some would advise 'if it ain't broke, don't fix it'.
However, the neighborhood suffered a power failure last week, and when the power came back, Indigo failed to resume operation.
Troubleshooting revealed that the 2413U interface had become unhappy - its red light was on.
The fix was simple - unplug the 2413U from the wall, shut down the Mac, replug the 2413U, and reboot the Mac.

This incident reminded me that v6 has been long retired and is no longer supported. So perhaps it's time to update, and help keep the Indigo team solvent.

However, I do not like surprises and am seeking input from the brain trust here as to any roadblocks or issues I might encounter if I upgrade Indigo.
As long as the Mac mini keeps working, I see no reason to replace it. It has a few other 7x24 server apps on it, and sits happily in the basement doing its thing.

Thanks.

:arrow: Indigo 2023.1.1, macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra), Mac mini5,1 (Intel Core i5), PowerLinc 2413U

Posted on
Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:07 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Stick with version 6 or upgrade to version 7.4??

IIRC, Lion is the minimum requirement for Indigo 7, so it should run without issue on your machine. Although you don't use scripts, many plugins have been requiring 7 as well. I've been motoring along perfectly happy installing every new version that has come along. If it were me, I'd go for the upgrade.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:36 am
kyphos offline

Re: Stick with version 6 or upgrade to version 7.4??

@DaveL17
I hadn't thought of the dependencies that some plug-ins might pose (since I don't use any). Good to know.
My use of Indigo so far has been pretty basic - a few schedules turning lights on and off.

Thanks for the advice. I appreciate the input.

:arrow: Indigo 2023.1.1, macOS 10.13.6 (High Sierra), Mac mini5,1 (Intel Core i5), PowerLinc 2413U

Page 1 of 1