Static IP vs. MAC reservations: what’s the diff?

Posted on
Thu May 07, 2020 10:18 pm
Doctor Q offline

Re: Static IP vs. MAC reservations: what’s the diff?

kw123 wrote:
I have everything that is hardwired installed in the house on fixed IP numbers, ie switches AP, servers, raspberries, cameras, printers etc. I have reserved the range 1..150 for fixed IP numbers.
In at least 2 of my plugins it needs the ip # of devices, and changing that when ever DHCP decides to change an IP number is an additional hassle.
Also looking at an IP number ,I know what kind of device it is.

Karl

This is pretty much my system. And I have .210-.219 reserved for PiBeacons. Servers should have fixed IPs but aren’t cameras ‘video servers?’ (Never mind ONVIF and Bonjour.) When I look at my network, 90% of the nodes could be considered servers of some sort, with iDevices, laptops and HomePods as clients (if someone knows how to change the IP of a HomePod, let me know).
I guess my original question was more about performance than maintenance, though the latter points are well taken. Since I already have a fixed IP setup, when my UDM shows up I think I will duplicate the DHCP range of the Airport but reserve the client devices, which I haven’t been doing. I will have small Ubiquiti switches at both TV setups, hoping to improve throughput.
Next, on to VLANs

Thanks folks
Chuck

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri May 08, 2020 4:41 am
DaveL17 offline

Doctor Q wrote:
Opinions welcome.

I, like others, use fixed IP addresses set through DHCP. I generally have IPs sorted in ranges by family of device and rely on dynamic IPs for only a select few. Just to go slightly OT for a moment, I also have set up several subnets with different firewall rules between them (including a guest network that can't access any other subnet) and have set up a VPN using the UniFi controller.

FlyingDiver wrote:
You could run a local DNS server. I do that on my Synology box.

Yeah, I've thought about doing that. I just feel that it should be reasonably easy for the UniFi controller to handle it. I know they've got it on the list, but it's never made it to the top.
Last edited by DaveL17 on Fri May 08, 2020 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri May 08, 2020 5:11 am
howartp offline

DaveL17 wrote:
I just feel that it should be reasonably easy for .... I know they've got it on the list, but it's never made it to the top.

Sounds a bit like Indigo!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Fri May 08, 2020 6:40 am
pocster offline

I have everything static ip’s apart from my laptop . If I buy a new device and it’s not in my subnet I just change my router . Everything will ‘disappear’ apart from my dynamic ip laptop . Then I can login to the new device ; change it’s ip . Change the router back . Then everything appears including new device in ip range .

Posted on
Fri May 08, 2020 9:00 am
RogueProeliator offline

I, like others, use fixed IP addresses set through DHCP. I generally have IPs sorted in ranges by family of device and rely on dynamic IPs for only a select few. Just to go slightly OT for a moment, I also have set up several subnets with different firewall rules between them (including a guest network that can't access any other subnet) and have set up a VPN using the UniFi controller.

Dude, if reserving set ranges by family of devices were an Olympic sport I would... yeah, be dead last because apparently I totally suck at guessing how many I will need in the future and then the OCD about kills me because I have .50 - .60 for a type and then some random overflow device on like .90.

Yeah, I've thought about doing that. I just feel that it should be reasonably easy for the UniFi controller to handle it. I know they've got it on the list, but it's never made it to the top.

I read that the new UDM has those features... or at least, I assume so as they had a DNS Filter setting. Never tried it, just saw it on a forum when searching how to do something else on the USG.

Posted on
Fri May 08, 2020 12:06 pm
siclark offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Dude, if reserving set ranges by family of devices were an Olympic sport I would... yeah, be dead last because apparently I totally suck at guessing how many I will need in the future and then the OCD about kills me because I have .50 - .60 for a type and then some random overflow device on like .90.

Omg me exactly. Drives me nuts but it’s such a mess I need a day to organise and change everything

As for local DNS, i set my local devices up on my external domain name admin, ie cloudflare.
So type garden.domainname.com to be 192.168.0.37 which is my garden cam etc.
Doesn’t matter if anyone else try’s to enter that address, it will go to their local network not mine.
Chrome remembers them so rarely have to type the whole address in.

Posted on
Fri May 08, 2020 12:17 pm
lalisingh offline

Putting my two cents in here.... Agree with the DHCP reservations comment in this thread.

The case where this does not work is if a device reverts to a factory default IP address because there is a high latency in reaching the dhcp service.
Happens in a point to point wireless bridge where there is a race condition between the station radio and the devices on the far side when they power up.

btw, I use all Mikrotik gear and the router provide dns service flawlessly.

[url]https://www.VillageWorker.com[/url]
Extreme data analytics, Sensing, Control integration work.
Indigo • Barix • Kentix • Mobotix • Mikrotik • Apple