Insteon Manage Links issue.

Posted on
Mon Apr 27, 2020 9:49 am
Gangotti offline

Insteon Manage Links issue.

I had to replace a Fanlinc yesterday, And I relinked everything in the link manager and then told it to sync. It went through the process and said "linking - batch sync complete" in the event log, however in the "Manage Insteon Device Links" window, under the Status column for each link they all still say "added - sync needed" I pressed the "sync now" button and went through the process 3 more times getting the same result. I tried exiting the window and reopening and it still says "added - sync needed). I can say however that the links at the actual devices and their links are working. is this a bug or a feature?

Indigo 4.7.1
MacOS High Sierra
2.5 GHz Intel Core i5

Posted on
Mon Apr 27, 2020 10:15 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Insteon Manage Links issue.

From the Insteon Manage Links dialog try pressing the button to sync it again. Presuming it still shows "sync needed", open the Event Log window and copy/paste the Event Log results of the sync into a reply.

Next open the Device dialog for the FanLinc and try re-syncing all of its links and copy/paste those Event Log results as well. Lastly check the Insteon Manage Links dialog again to see if the re-sync from the device dialog helped or not.

Posted on
Tue Apr 28, 2020 12:08 pm
Gangotti offline

Matt here is the information you requested:

From the Manage Links Window:

PowerLinc Linking - batch syncing changed links for "Marcus Keypad"
PowerLinc Linking - batch syncing changed links for "Living Room - Light"
PowerLinc Linking - batch syncing changed links for "Living Room- Fan"
PowerLinc Linking - batch sync started
PowerLinc Linking
PowerLinc Linking - syncing remote device "Marcus Keypad" (address 43.64.63, firmware version 45)
PowerLinc Linking - syncing changes only

Apr 28, 2020 at 10:56:02 AM
Error failed to fetch data from remote module
Error Linking - syncing of this device not possible remotely
Error Linking - syncing failed
PowerLinc Linking - device "Marcus Keypad" links updated
PowerLinc Linking
PowerLinc Linking - syncing remote device "Living Room - Light" (address 47.EE.23, firmware version 45)
PowerLinc Linking - syncing changes only
PowerLinc Linking - insert memory address unknown; must perform full device sync
PowerLinc Linking - syncing all links
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to controller 31.18.82, flags AA, group FE, data 00 1C 00

Apr 28, 2020 at 10:56:41 AM
Received INSTEON "Laundry Light" on
Trigger Laundry Room Light Auto Off

Apr 28, 2020 at 10:57:01 AM
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to controller 43.A3.36, flags A2, group 01, data FF 1C 01

Apr 28, 2020 at 10:57:29 AM
Received INSTEON "Laundry Light" off

Apr 28, 2020 at 10:58:02 AM
PowerLinc Linking
PowerLinc Linking - syncing remote device "Living Room- Fan" (address 47.EE.23, firmware version 45)
PowerLinc Linking - syncing of this device not possible remotely (skipping)
PowerLinc Linking - sync complete
PowerLinc Linking - batch sync complete

From the Device Dialog Re-sync:

PowerLinc Linking - initializing remote device "Living Room - Light" (address 47.EE.23, firmware version 45)
PowerLinc Linking - initialize complete
PowerLinc Linking - syncing remote device "Living Room - Light" (address 47.EE.23, firmware version 45)
PowerLinc Linking - syncing all links
PowerLinc Linking - . . . read: INSTEON dev link to controller 31.18.82, flags AA, group FE, data 00 1C 00

Apr 28, 2020 at 11:00:40 AM
Error linking failed
PowerLinc Linking - syncing PowerLinc links (address 31.18.82)
PowerLinc Linking - . . adding: INSTEON plc link to controller 47.EE.23, flags 03, group 01, data 00 00 FF
PowerLinc Linking - PowerLinc links updated
PowerLinc Linking - sync complete

Finally, the Re-sync did not help.

It seems to be failing to fetch data from the modules. These are new modules that have never been installed and purchased directly from the manufacturer. I would also point out that there are 2 modules with this issue, both from the manufacturer. One was installed under indigo 7-3, and the other under indigo 7-4

Posted on
Wed Apr 29, 2020 5:25 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

It looks like you are having Insteon signal problems. Indigo is able to communicate with the modules, but not consistently. I can also tell by the time stamps between when some of the links are read out (as part of the sync process) that the PowerLinc must be having to re-try the commands several times. When it works well the links will be read out with at most a few second gap between them.

The problem might be something causing power line or RF noise, or it could be a range issue. High end surge strips and UPSs are notorious for causing problems. For troubleshooting I'd suggest you try plugging the PowerLinc into different outlets on different circuits. To quickly do this just use an extension cord (so you don't have to move your Mac). Can you then get the re-syncing to complete for the devices? You can also try unplugging appliances/UPSs/electronics to see if you can eliminate the problem.

Note that the commands used to read (and write) links are "extended" Insteon commands. They are much more susceptible to noise (and collisions). This can explain why the syncing of links fails but you might still be able to control the modules since the control commands are all "standard" and less problematic when it comes to noise/collisions.

Posted on
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:53 pm
Gangotti offline

Matt, I do not have a powerlinc, I have the Insteon 2448A7 Portable USB Adapter, and with regards to all my insteon devices, they are hardwired with the exception of the lamplincs which are not plugged into outlets, not powerstrips. Should I disable all the plugins and other interfaces to prevent noise and collisions?

Posted on
Thu Apr 30, 2020 12:59 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Disabling plugins isn't likely to help. This is power line or RF noise (not s software/plugin issue). Note that power line noise can cause problems even if there is an RF path from the 2447A7 to the modules (because the modules themselves can get confused trying to decode power line noise as commands).

Try unplugging appliances, electronics, and power strips / UPSs. You can also just turn off entire circuits at the breaker since you are just troubleshooting trying to find problem areas.

Also try moving your LampLinc or other plug-in dual-band modules into different outlets. That will provide different signal paths and maybe get it working.

Lastly try repositioning the 2447A7 (which will changes its internal antenna orientation). Either move the Mac around some and/or try different USB ports.

Page 1 of 1