Source of "unable to create symbolic link" error

Posted on
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:28 am
Grognard offline

Source of "unable to create symbolic link" error

I recently noticed a recurring error cropping up in my server log. It seems to happen around midnight, when the server creates a new log file. Here is an example:

Code: Select all
Sep 8, 2019 at 11:59:51 PM
   Error                           unable to create symbolic link
   Created new log file (Indigo Server version 7.3.1)

Digging around for the source of this error I discovered that "/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7.3/Logs/indigo_log.txt" is an alias, and that in the Finder selecting this alias and selecting "show original" gives the error dialog: "The alias “indigo_log.txt” can’t be opened because the original item can’t be found."

I'm wondering if these errors are related, and what the fix is. I'm happy to provide any additional info which would be helpful.

Posted on
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:34 am
autolog offline

Re: Source of "unable to create symbolic link" error

Grognard wrote:
... I'm wondering if these errors are related, and what the fix is. I'm happy to provide any additional info which would be helpful.

Looks like it might be a permissions error. I think the fix for this is just to rerun the install of Indigo 7.3 which should fix it (if that is the problem).
It is probably worth a try. :)

Posted on
Tue Sep 10, 2019 5:40 am
Grognard offline

Agreed, worth a try. I've re-run it, I'll see if the problem crops up again tonight (Finder still reports being unable to find the original "indigo_log.txt" file).

Posted on
Tue Sep 10, 2019 3:57 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Also try deleting the broken alias. Indigo tries to re-create it automatically every time the log file rolls over (midnight).

Posted on
Wed Sep 11, 2019 5:15 am
Grognard offline

Thanks Matt and autolog, no error generated last night and I have a shiny new unbroken alias that points to today's log file!

Page 1 of 1