Bug: Server 7.3 forgetting configured interface

Posted on
Sat Jun 01, 2019 6:28 am
Umtauscher offline

Bug: Server 7.3 forgetting configured interface

Hi guys,

I have the feeling 7.3 has introduced a new bug:
When restarting the mac Indigo forgets the configured serial port for the zwave stick.
It happend twice in the last week that when I restarted the mac I had to configure the zwave stick.

Since this has never happened before I think its a 7.3 bug.
Cheers
Wilhelm

P.S. running on Mavericks on a late 2011 MacMini using a Gen5 Aeotec stick.

Posted on
Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:58 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Bug: Server 7.3 forgetting configured interface

Hi Wilhelm,

I don't believe this is related to 7.3, as there were no changes in how Indigo read/stores serial port information, no other users have reported the problem, and I just tried to reproduce the problem and could not.

Does your Event Log file show any errors on shutdown or restart of Indigo? And more importantly, is the serial port name perhaps changing between reboots?

Another possibility is Indigo doesn't have the permissions to overwrite the preferences file.

Posted on
Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:56 am
Umtauscher offline

Hi Mat,

thanks for answering on a weekend!
You are right, the modem port seems to have changed during reboot. What could cause this?
As you might have seen, I am trying to keep my Indigo Mac as unchanged as possible.
No OSX updates for ages and nothing apart from Indigo and it's plugins gets updated.
Sorry that I blamed it on the 7.3.1 update.

The server is running for years and the modem port has never changed until last week
I have attached the log between shutdown and restart up to the point where I reconfigured the modem port.
(The errors of the adapter plugin are caused by the GhostXML plugin not having initialised some custom states yet..)

Thanks for any ideas you could have.
Attachments
2019-06-01 Events.txt
log of the restart
(14.6 KiB) Downloaded 101 times

Posted on
Mon Jun 03, 2019 8:52 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

macOS names the ports for modem-type devices (which is what the Gen5 identifies itself as). Usually, the only reason that the port name changes if if you move the interface to a different USB port (macOS uses some algorithm which takes the USB controller and slot into account to create the port name). If you didn't move the Z-Stick, then I don't know why it would have changed. If its plugged into a USB hub I suppose it's possible that the hub is introducing some change through a reboot or some such.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Jun 03, 2019 9:57 am
Umtauscher offline

Thanks, the Stick is plugged into an internal port and it hasn't moved, just rebooted.
Very strange...

Posted on
Mon Jun 03, 2019 11:10 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

If the problem persists then try different USB ports to see if that makes any difference

Page 1 of 1