Failed to connect to Indigo Server when using VPN

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 11:27 am
Turribeach offline

Failed to connect to Indigo Server when using VPN

Hi, from time to time I use a VPN software on my Mac (ExpressVPN). Today I noticed I couldn't connect to Indigo from another Mac on my network. Eventually I figured out it was the VPN. However my iPhone could connect to my Indigo server when the VPN up so it seems possible to have it working with a VPN. My only guess is that it worked with my iPhone since there was an existing open connection or because it uses a Web Server. Any ideas how to make the Indigo Server not to send traffic via the VPN? Thanks

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 11:39 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Failed to connect to Indigo Server when using VPN

First, check the VPN app or the Network pane in System Preferences. You do NOT want the "send all traffic over the VPN connection" option checked. NOT like the attached image.

If that doesn't work, make sure the VPN connection is LOWER in the list of network interfaces in the Network pane. Click on the gear to set the service order.
Attachments
Screen Shot.jpg
Screen Shot.jpg (101.86 KiB) Viewed 958 times

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Fri May 24, 2019 2:32 pm
Turribeach offline

Re: Failed to connect to Indigo Server when using VPN

Yes I suspected this was a VPN question but I think there is more to it than that. My VPN provider doesn't use the VPN feature on MacOS but a custom VPN client. The VPN client does support split tunnelling which I have enabled. In split tunnelling mode you can select which apps use the VPN. So I have different browser for the VPN. This works fine and all the other Mac Apps work outside of the VPN including my other browser. This issue is even more weird since I can connect from my iPhone back to my Indigo server, both when using my local IP address via wifi or my public IP via cellular wireless when the VPN it's on. So it is puzzling that one connection works fine and the other doesn't. I would imagine the Indigo server process either sends the traffic back via the VPN or it doesn't. But I will research more from the VPN side to see if I can get to the bottom of this.

Page 1 of 1