Benefits and Implementation of periodic reboots?

Posted on
Sun Feb 17, 2019 10:44 am
Dual offline

Re: Benefits and Implementation of periodic reboots?

siclark wrote:
Buy a ubiquiti router and your days of restarting your router will be over!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s not the router that goes down. It’s the internet service via cable modem. My ASUS router seems solid.

Posted on
Mon Feb 18, 2019 3:03 pm
johnfdl offline

I agree.....my router is rarely what seems to get hosed....it's my cable modem. But since reading this, I added a scheduled reboot of my router (nice that this was an option with the asus router firmware). My cable modem doesn't have this option, so I ordered a zwave controlled outlet to (a) schedule periodic reboots of my cable modem via Indigo and (b) monitor internet access via Indigo Network Devices plugin and reboot the cable modem when the internet goes down.

It's not often that I need to reboot the cable modem (maybe once every three or four months), but this should make my system a bit more bullet-proof.

Posted on
Mon Feb 18, 2019 4:43 pm
johnfdl offline

lanbrown wrote:
Use the online sensor plugin and if you Internet is down, you can have it reboot the router as well.

Hmm....wonder what the differences are in the two plug-ins (Online Sensor and Network Devices plugin

Guess I will play with both and see for myself unless anyone has played around with both and wants to chime in.

Posted on
Mon Feb 18, 2019 6:44 pm
Dual offline

Following. Very interested in these two plugins. I will check them out. They could replace the relay board currently connected to my iMac that is controlling my router and modem power. I would no longer need my AppleScript running on that iMac all the time so I could let it go to sleep. Thanks guys.

Posted on
Tue Feb 19, 2019 6:50 am
mundmc offline

Lively discussion!

For those of you guys that DO reboot the entire machine, how are you doing it and is Indigo “gracefully” shutting down?

MunDMC
Fitter. Happier. More productive.

Posted on
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:38 am
CliveS offline

mundmc wrote:
For those of you guys that DO reboot the entire machine, how are you doing it and is Indigo “gracefully” shutting down?

As I have a Mac Mini Server with dual drives (now upgraded to 2 x Samsung SSD's) I use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup every morning at 1am and CCC has an option to reboot after backup, works like a charm and only off for about 30 seconds due to the speed of the SSD's

CliveS

Indigo 2023.2.0 : macOS Ventura 13.6.3 : Mac Mini M2 : 8‑core CPU and 10‑core GPU : 8 GB : 256GB SSD
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The best way to get the right answer on the Internet is not to ask a question, it's to post the wrong answer

Posted on
Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:44 am
mundmc offline

CliveS wrote:
mundmc wrote:

As I have a Mac Mini Server with dual drives (now upgraded to 2 x Samsung SSD's) I use Carbon Copy Cloner to backup every morning at 1am and CCC has an option to reboot after backup, works like a charm and only off for about 30 seconds due to the speed of the SSD's

Yes- I use Carbon Copy too! I need to get on this!

MunDMC
Fitter. Happier. More productive.

Posted on
Fri Feb 22, 2019 7:44 pm
johnfdl offline

Trying to think of the most efficient action to do when cable modem goes offline. Here's what I have:
  1. Trigger1: When device cable modem becones = to Inactive, turn zwave switch off (and back on in 10 secs) then start 5 min timer.
  2. Trigger2: When 5 min timer expires, if cable modem device is active is false, turn zwave switch off (and back on in 10 secs) then start 5 min timer.
  3. Trigger3: When device cable modem becones = to Active, Stop 5 min timer.
Curious what others have in terms of logic as I find I am not always as efficient as I could be in setting up triggers/actions.