Best dedicated mac for 2019

Posted on
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:01 am
markmiller66 offline

Best dedicated mac for 2019

I would like to move my Indigo software to a dedicated mac. I have bought used from m## o# a## t##### and O## (not sure if I'm allowed to put names of companies here) and have been happy with the quality of their used machines but need some advice on how far back I can go.

As of right now, you need a machine that will run 10.7.5. There are mac minis and 20" imacs under $150 that can run up to 10.11. Would this be sufficient to keep up with Indigo for, say, 5 years? I think Perceptive Automation tries to keep their stuff running on older os's as long as possible but I'm not sure what the history is for updates. i.e. has each update historically required at least 1-2 versions higher OS?

Posted on
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:16 am
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Best dedicated mac for 2019

I think you'd be foolish to buy anything now that won't run at least High Sierra. Especially considering the TLS issues with anything older.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Jan 23, 2019 8:20 am
markmiller66 offline

So, that would be 10.13. that would eliminate under $200 used machines. thanks for the recommendation.

Update:

I don't usually like buying computers on ebay but found a mid-2010 mini for $114 so I gave it a shot. I added the SquareD warranty just in case but it was cheap enough and I like the mini form factor as I can set it up and stick it in a corner. It only has 2 GB of RAM but I could upgrade and if it's only running indigo, that is probably fine.

Posted on
Wed Jan 23, 2019 12:33 pm
durosity offline

There are tools to run some older macs on newer versions of MacOS which I personally found worked great (at least in my setup with a Mac Pro 2008 and high Sierra), but bare in mind it wouldn’t be a supported config from the indigo developers point of view!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Computer says no.

Page 1 of 1