What to do about Apple's 'Not Optimized for your Mac' warnin

Posted on
Thu Sep 05, 2019 10:29 pm
Welshdog offline

Re: What to do about Apple's 'Not Optimized for your Mac' wa

So I have never even looked at Python and barely even know what it is. Is there an app that will convert my Applescripts to Python? My system uses Applescript with Indigo every single day, so I guess I need to figure this out. For example Applescript sends my wife and I text messages when various thing happen, like garage door opens/closes and all of the Insteon water leak detectors.

So there will be no Apple provided scripting in the future? Not even Automator?

Posted on
Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:39 am
DaveL17 offline

There is no program to convert AppleScripts to Python that I know of. But if you can handle AppleScript, you can handle Python. There's even an official Indigo blog post about the implications and it describes a Python package that may work to bridge your AppleScripts (I have not tested it myself, so I don't know anything about it).

There is also a forum where you can post your AppleScripts and someone will help you convert them to Python. You may also find others' scripts that have been converted that may work for you.

This should not be an insurmountable exercise for you and we're here to help.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:01 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Probably the most useful information source for you is the AppleScript Integration Strategies wiki page - that's where we outline the various options for converting and we'll continue to update it as other options become available/known.

I will also reiterate that for many older AppleScript solutions, there are plugins that will make accomplishing the same thing much easier/straight-forward, so you should look around in the Plugin Store for options to specific problems (like sending notifications for instance).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Sep 06, 2019 9:33 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Welshdog wrote:
For example Applescript sends my wife and I text messages when various thing happen, like garage door opens/closes and all of the Insteon water leak detectors.

If your AppleScripts are not targeting Indigo (in this example it sounds like your AppleScript probably targets Messages app, which is okay) then they will still work as long as they are not AppleScripts embedded in an Indigo action. If they are then you'll need to use the Script Editor and copy/paste the script from Indigo into its own script file, then have Indigo execute the AppleScript file instead. The changes coming to Indigo 7.4 are that embedded AppleScripts will not work, but linked/file AppleScripts will continue to work as long as they do not target the Indigo Server.

But as Jay said above, it is better to use a plugin for something like notification than a custom script, so that might be the best solution in this case.

Posted on
Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:26 pm
Dual offline

For notifications I am really happy with The Pushover plugin and service.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Fri Sep 06, 2019 8:08 pm
Welshdog offline

Thanks to all for the great info! I was overreacting a bit - life's been a bit tough lately and I was not thinking this through. I will definitely check for plug-ins as managing the Applescripts, while not difficult , can be tedious.

As usual, excellent help from the Indigo Forums.

Posted on
Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:38 pm
masterblaster offline

Looks like Catalina will be released within days, by October 4th. (What’s the definition of releasing 7.4 well in advance of Catalina?)

Posted on
Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:06 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

We will be releasing Indigo 7.4 (all 64 bit) before Apple releases Catalina.

Posted on
Mon Sep 30, 2019 3:57 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn