Second Z-Wave Interface

Posted on
Thu Oct 04, 2018 2:44 pm
stevenu offline

Second Z-Wave Interface

This would be for Z-Wave controller #2 in that there is already one. I have looked through Re: Qolsys Security Panel as Secondary Z-Wave Controller The thread seems to, as a secondary controller, what to have both controllers know about and work with each others devices. Looks like a lot of work as the protocol doesn’t seem to be setup for it.

I would like to see a Second Z-Wave Interface as in Z-Wave-1 and Z-Wave-2. Much like there is already X-10 and INSTEON. Can this be done or is it already planed?

My need it not so much for the speed or number of device, which others would relish taking care of, but for distance. In my case, controllers on the Z-Wave-1 and Z-Wave-2 interface won’t even see each others devices. I would like to use a USB Z-Stick locally at the server and Z-Net in the remote building which is over 300 meters away. I already have fiber ethernet to the remote locations. There are actually three buildings. Large 2 part house and a winery.

Having the controllers now on ethernet gets away from some of the USB issues I sometimes see. On board a boat, I have a server that controls a relay board over ethernet very nicely. It is a harsh environment and the traffic is run through a VLAN which the MAC and Indigo don’t seem to have any trouble with.

Seems cleanest to have a second interface since there are already several, though they are different protocols. But could this also be done through a plugin, much like the EasyDAQ Relay Card? Seems much more complicated.

Posted on
Thu Oct 04, 2018 3:26 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Second Z-Wave Interface

stevenu wrote:
I would like to see a Second Z-Wave Interface as in Z-Wave-1 and Z-Wave-2. Much like there is already X-10 and INSTEON. Can this be done or is it already planed?

It's not possible currently and while it's been requested a couple of times it's not on the short to medium-term plans.

stevenu wrote:
My need it not so much for the speed or number of device, which others would relish taking care of, but for distance. In my case, controllers on the Z-Wave-1 and Z-Wave-2 interface won’t even see each others devices. I would like to use a USB Z-Stick locally at the server and Z-Net in the remote building which is over 300 meters away. I already have fiber ethernet to the remote locations. There are actually three buildings. Large 2 part house and a winery.

I recommend that you get a Vera controller and the Vera Bridge plugin for this. The plugin doesn't support every device type, but it does support the main ones.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Oct 04, 2018 6:51 pm
stevenu offline

Thanks for the reply. It is a shame. Not to be crass but could there be a financial incentive for your team? Or would be someone else who could do such a project?

Posted on
Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:51 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

stevenu wrote:
Thanks for the reply. It is a shame. Not to be crass but could there be a financial incentive for your team? Or would be someone else who could do such a project?

Not really. The feature has been requested by only a few people compared to the features in the pipe that have been requested by a lot more. Not to mention that it would require significant refactoring work that's just not in the cards. Yours, unfortunately, is an edge case that we (as a tiny 2 person company) just can't address in the near-term.

If you were going to buy the znet anyway, which costs $150, and the Vera Edge is $100, seems like the Vera is not only a currently working solution but also the cheaper option.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Oct 05, 2018 12:03 pm
stevenu offline

Should have come to you first Jay for input! <grin> Vera Edge with two Z-Wave LED light bulbs on Amazon for $100.

Anyone want to buy a Z-Net?

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1