Curious about traffic from Indigo server

Posted on
Sat Sep 08, 2018 12:57 pm
sparker offline

Curious about traffic from Indigo server

I was poking around on my network the other day, and brought up the Mac Activity Monitor in Network settings and was kind of surprised by the amount of network traffic coming out of the Indigo Server.

Is this typical? That seems like a LOT of traffic to me. I'm not sure what the overall default time period for the Activity Monitor is, but to see this a couple orders of magnitude higher than anything else on my home automation server kind of surprised me.

Not reporting a problem or issue, just curious.

Steve

EDIT (forgot the attachment) :)
Attachments
Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 12.25.11 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-09-08 at 12.25.11 PM.png (400.11 KiB) Viewed 1070 times

--
Steve Parker
X10 user from the early 80's
Fully converted to Insteon in 2013 (looking to migrate away now)
Proud Indigo owner since the beginning... :)

Posted on
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:35 pm
DaveL17 offline

Re: Curious about traffic from Indigo server

sparker wrote:
Is this typical?

I suppose it depends on what you're asking your server to do, so I'm not sure that there's a "typical" amount. I just checked my production server and the value is 291GB.

So, I think your's is quite low. :D

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:36 pm
jalves offline

I don't have an answer but I'm wondering what period of time this is over. Since the last boot? Last 24 hours? Some other period?

Running Indigo 2023.2 on a 24" iMac M1), OS X 14.4
Jeff

Posted on
Sat Sep 08, 2018 1:44 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

I'm not sure how Activity Monitor is measuring that traffic, but note that all of Indigo's Clients use TCP sockets for communicating with the Indigo Server. This includes the Indigo GUI app, as well as all plugins (3rd party and internal). So a lot of that traffic might just be local to the Mac Indigo is running on.

Update: Note the IndigoPluginHost processes listed. Each one is a plugin. The first one listed in the table shows 3.8 GB of data received. While I don't know for sure, most or all of that probably came from the 7.62 GB of data shown sent by the IndigoServer. The Indigo 7 client is also showing about 3.8 GB of data received, so that almost totally explains the 7.62 GB of data sent by the Indigo Server.

Page 1 of 1