Log File Overflow

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:01 am
jstackmk offline

Log File Overflow

Just noticed that my daily log files have not been recording a full days worth.
I have been getting the following entry and nothing after.
*** Log File Overflow -- suppressing future logging to this file and console ***
This usually occurs later in the day.

I see that my log files are 9.1mb when this occurs (most days). No log files are larger than 9.1 mb.

I don't look at these file very often and don't know when this started occurring. I usually just review the event log window. I don't bother to control what gets logged i.e. everything is logged. I have lots of device and plugins so there is a lot of logging going on.

Is there a limit on the log file size? I would rather just increase the log file size and not have to bother with deciding what needs to be logged.

Thanks much,
Jim

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 8:39 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: Log File Overflow

Holy cow, those are really big. I just checked my server and my daily logs are between 250K - 500K. Yesterday's was 320K.

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:42 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

There's no way to increase the log file size. But 9MB per day is excessive. If you were to have any issues, we'd ask you to provide some Event Log information to help us figure out what's going on. But with that much stuff spewing to the log it's likely that it would take us an excessive amount of time just to filter the relevant parts.

I highly recommend that you turn down some of the debug logging that you've got enabled. If it's not debug logging, then I'd be very interested to know what is filling your log up.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:44 am
jstackmk offline

Thanks Jay.
Looks like I had a debug logging left on for a few plugins AND the Zwave interface. Zwave debugging was most of my problem.

Jim

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:59 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

jstackmk wrote:
Thanks Jay.
Looks like I had a debug logging left on for a few plugins AND the Zwave interface. Zwave debugging was most of my problem.

Yeah, there isn't any reason you would want to leave Z-Wave debug logging on unless we were trying to diagnose a specific issue.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1