Unknown command error

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:33 pm
kennybroh offline

Unknown command error

All of a sudden my event log is filled with these errors, and the server is brought to it's knees.

Any idea how to figure out what is causing this?

Error unknown command bytes received 00 00 (ignoring)

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:30 pm
kennybroh offline

Re: Unknown command error

It is taking a long time to shut down the server. But I should mention there is another problem I thought I could cure by doing a re-sync with the powerline interface. I was getting constant on and off commands sent to two devices controlling a pool filter and robot. They were part of a schedule,. which I disabled., but the commands didn't stop. Then I deleted the devices themselves, and now I am getting an error referencing their addresses, even though they are no longer defined.

I tried re-syncing links but they persist. Here is what I am seeing, and they are probably related to the other messages. How can I find out where this reference is stuck? I have searched everywhere, but cannot find out what this button 2 is referring to.,

Received INSTEON 3F.2B.00 off (button 2)
Received INSTEON 3F.2B.00 on (button 2)
Received INSTEON 3F.2A.D5 on (button 2)
Received INSTEON 3F.2A.D5 off (button 2)

Posted on
Mon Jul 23, 2018 10:45 pm
kennybroh offline

And now those are the only errors I'm getting. But they are flooding the server.

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2018 9:47 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

It looks like you've got a failing Insteon device that's flooding the network with traffic (although it could also be something else that looks like an Insteon device to the PowerLinc). This is causing the PowerLinc to hang up which results in the "unknown command bytes received" message. Indigo is trying it's hardest to interpret everything, but the sheer quantity is causing failures.

At this point, your only option is to find the thing that's flooding your Insteon network. Here's what I'd try if I were in your shoes:

1) Use a long extension cord from another room to the PowerLinc - this might help identify if the noise maker is on the same circuit as the PowerLinc.
2) Shut down the circuits that have Insteon devices on them, one at a time, until the flood stops. Then you know at least which circuit has the noise maker.
3) If you identify the circuit, then disable all the Insteon devices on that circuit (air-gap or unplug them), then start adding them back one at a time until you start seeing the flood.
4) If you can't identify the circuit, take the batteries out of all the battery powered Insteon devices to see if it's one of those.

Unfortunately, network flooding like this is just about identifying the thing that's causing the flood. It may not even be an Insteon device, but I'd start with those first.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:23 pm
kennybroh offline

Thanks.

So I have 2Insteon 30 amp relay switches, controlling a pool filter and vacuum. The addresses in the log are for those devices after I deleted them from Indigo. When I went down to look at them, even though the load was not turning on or off, the LED showing whether the controller is active would light up corresponding to the on/.off commands reported in the log. When I re-added the devices to Indigo, the log showed the on/off commands by name,. e.g. pool filter, pool bot.

In other words, either these two relays are receiving commands from an unknown source, or they are turning themselves on and off, and reporting that activity to Indigo. What could be causing either of those things? Or is it something else entirely? I find it hard to believe that both of them are failing at the same time, but could that be what is happening? They are only a couple of months old, and were purchased at the same time to replace similar switches which failed after 5 or 6 years.

Ideas?

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:57 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Those 20 amp Insteon modules are notoriously buggy /problematic. Try factory resetting them (I'm not sure what the steps are for that, but their manual should have the details). After factory resetting them do NOT re-sync them in Indigo. That tends to prevent the problem you are seeing where the modules continuously broadcast out commands, but you will probably still be able to control them (give it a try).

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2018 1:59 pm
kennybroh offline

OK-- did a little more research and am closing in on what is going on, but need some ideas for a solution. The previous models I had were "normally open" relays. That model is now discontinued, and I installed the "normally closed" version. I found 2 reviews of the product that shed light on this problem, and they seem to point to the same issue. The first one was in SmartHome:

"The specs don't differentiate between resistive and reactive loads. I put a N/O unit on a water heater and it has worked fine for years. I put a N/C unit on a well pump and it is constantly sending on/off messages back to my controller. I think the reactive pump load caused power fluctuations that affect the insteon control because the false messages occur when the pump turns on. I'll try to add some capacitance to the circuit and see if that helps."

Then I saw this review in Amazon:

"I am not sure of the value of the Normally Closed versus the Normally Open relay contacts because the device attains its last status after a power failure. I went for the normally closed contacts, so that without control the device would be on.
I have noted that some users are using the switch to control pool motors. The Insteon installation instructions say the device should only be used for resistive loads. A motor is an inductive load and because the relay switches off both power lines simultaneously the electrical energy stored in the motor windings has no where to go, so there will be arcing across the relay contacts. This could lead to premature failure of the relay in the Insteon device or even damage the relay driver circuits, so advice from Insteon engineers might be appropriate."

So the two pumps I'm controlling are induction loads, and this is presumably the source of the problem. What I don't understand from this analysis, is why the on/off commands should be generated when the load is ON. One would think it would only happen when the load was OFF. If this is indeed the probolem, is there any wiring solution I might try to add resistance?

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:00 pm
kennybroh offline

I will try resetting them if that is possible, but if what I wrote above is the cause, I doubt it will make much difference. But we will see.

Thanks.

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:06 pm
kennybroh offline

This from the User Manual: Controls high-voltage appliances up to 240 Volts, 30 Amps, split-single phase (resistive loads only)

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:40 pm
kennybroh offline

Thanks.

Each motor draws only 8-10 amps. Any reason I couldn't use Insteon In-LineLinc Relays? They are rated for a 20 amp load. Someone else suggested using an Insteon micro controller with a generic 220V relay. Do those solutions seem feasible?

Posted on
Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:44 pm
kennybroh offline

At least one theory is correct, which substantiates what is going on. I've turned both modules on, and am not getting those messages. It's only when they are off.

Page 1 of 1