Clean Install of Sierra

Posted on
Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:31 pm
colovin offline

Clean Install of Sierra

I'm currently running 10.10.5. I'm about to make the giant leap to 10.12. I want to do a clean install of Sierra and do not want to do a migration so I can get rid of any crap I've accumulated over the years. I've search the forum and have come up with conflicting information. What is the best way to bring my indigo back after a clean install? Can I copy /Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 7/ on to the new install? I see a, com.perceptiveautomation.indigo-client6.plist in my user/Library?Preferences folder but nothing for 7 (I'm running 7.1.1) is everything now handled in the App Support folder or do I need to look for some files elsewhere? One post was talking about disassociating 7.1 from my 10.10 install, how do I do that? This is why I don't like upgrading OS's :-)

Indigo 7.1.1, OS 10.14.6, MacMini .3.2 GHz 6 Intel Core i7, 64 GB ram

Posted on
Sun Jul 08, 2018 3:58 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Clean Install of Sierra

The steps outlined in moving Indigo to a new Mac apply except that you'll need to save off the directory and put it back once you've done the clean OS install (rather than copy it from one Mac to another).

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:16 pm
colovin offline

Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by, "Save off the directory". I will make a clone of my 10.10 drive to have something to fall back on in case of disaster. That directory can't be saved back to the new 10.12 install?

Posted on
Sun Jul 08, 2018 11:40 pm
kw123 offline

If you use any of my plugins you need to also copy the folder
~/indigo

I am doing the same going from El Capitan to a new(old) mac pro running HS. Will share my experience.

I guess what Jay means - and I am often wrong- you need to copy the library /....indigo 7 ... directory and then run the indigo installer. That will set the proper rights in the directories.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:03 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

colovin wrote:
Thanks for the reply. I'm not sure what you mean by, "Save off the directory". I will make a clone of my 10.10 drive to have something to fall back on in case of disaster. That directory can't be saved back to the new 10.12 install?

I just mean that if you're going to reformat your hard drive to do the clean Sierra install, you'll need to back that folder up so that you can put it back once you've got your clean install done.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:02 am
colovin offline

OK, would it be better to install Indigo and let it create the folder and then replace it with the backed up folder or copy the backed up folder and then do the new install of Indigo?

Posted on
Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:55 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

No - in that respect follow the instructions exactly (copy folder first, run installer 2nd).

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Jul 20, 2018 1:21 am
colovin offline

Well it's been an absolute nightmare!!! Reminds me of why I don't update OS's . . . Some problems with indigo but it pales with getting everything else up and running. For some reason my database was in the documents folder instead of in the data base folder in the App Support. I had a bad transition from 6 to 7. There was a lot of cross contamination between the 2 folders. I thought I had all that fixed before I started this, got everything migrated (scripts, sound files etc) into the 7 folder. Didn't think that the database was elsewhere. Lucky me, but I found it.

The main problem I'm having is indigo is not seeing Airfoil. It goes crazy when it's not running, line after line in the log bitching about it not running. When it launches that goes away. When it's called for it say's, "Airfoil is probably not running" . In the attached jpg the indigoServer was not selected inn the source window of Airfoil giving the error. Then I ran a routine that rings a bell denoting 10AM where you see the error. Airfoil is running. Is there something is there something in the configuration that I need to do to bring Airfoil to indigo's attention? It knows when it's not running????
Attachments
airfoil error.png
airfoil error.png (32.97 KiB) Viewed 1575 times
airfoil error.png
airfoil error.png (32.97 KiB) Viewed 1575 times

Posted on
Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:03 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

We delivered the Airfoil Pro plugin with Indigo 7, which doesn't rely on AppleScript unlike the previous Airfoil plugin. AppleScript gets very confused if there are multiple copies of the same app on the same (or perhaps other) disks. This might be why the old plugin says that it's not running.

I highly recommend that you migrate to the Airfoil Pro plugin. It was radically different than the previous plugin so we couldn't migrate existing stuff automatically - you'll have to manually switch. However, this plugin is significantly more reliable/stable and has new features.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:55 am
colovin offline

OK, I found the problem. There are two sound sources, IndigoServer and Play Sound. One plays on the computer, the other to the remote speaker. I had only selected the IndigoServer within Airfoil which played on the computer but it couldn't find Play Sound from the script, it had to be within the source window for the remote speaker. Added that to the mix and now I'm back to normal for at least indigo. There is probably a way with a 3rd party software, but I wish there was a way to do a selective migration to a new OS. With Apple it's all or nothing. There were lots of weird ticks going on with my 10.10 installation which is why I knew it was time to do a clean install. But it's pure hell getting everything back going again. Except for a wayward database file and this little hiccup the move for indigo was relatively painless. My other main app on this computer is WeatherDisplay and it went without a hitch. Now Mail, iTunes, Airmail . . . Ahhhhhhh!

I haven't been able to rap my head around Airfoil Pro. When it first came out I tried playing with it and when back to the non pro. Reading the previous post I was thinking, oh great, guess I might have to try Pro again. Looked and it and then buckled down to finding out why non pro wasn't working. :-)

Page 1 of 1