is Sierra Safe?

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2018 10:16 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

is Sierra Safe?

I know there is a strong potential that upgrading to High Sierra can break my USB communication, but what about Sierra? I'm in a spot now because I need iCloud Drive to do some things and once you linked your first Sierra computer or same iOS equivalent at the time then you can't use earlier macOS or iOS versions to access iCloud drive. I know Sierra was a problem at first so I've left it at El Capitan - now it's time to move forward, even it's a small step.

My Modest Contributions to Indigo:

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2018 10:33 am
DaveL17 offline

Re: is Sierra Safe?

I don’t recall having any trouble with Sierra; but I don’t do Insteon, so I can’t comment about that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I came here to drink milk and kick ass....and I've just finished my milk.

[My Plugins] - [My Forums]

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2018 10:36 am
FlyingDiver offline

My server has been running Sierra for quite a while. No issues.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2018 10:48 am
durosity offline

I recently upgraded my Mac Pro server to High Sierra and I’d argue (surprisingly) that it’s more stable on that than it was on El Capitan. For one thing the built in USB ports actually work with a z-stick gen 5 where as before it just didn’t work properly at all!

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2018 10:53 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Thanks for the feedback. I'm running the Gen 5 Stick and the Insteon USB controller, it's my understanding that the current issues around High Sierra are mostly around the Insteon USB hub.

HomeKit Bridge | Device Extensions | Security Manager | LCD Creator | Room-O-Matic | Smart Dimmer | Scene Toggle | Powermiser | Homebridge Buddy

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2018 10:56 am
durosity offline

Weren’t they solved the replacement ftdi drivers?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2018 10:59 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

durosity wrote:
Weren’t they solved the replacement ftdi drivers?

That seems to be hit or miss - more hit it seems lately but I'm hesitant to risk my extremely complex home automation that I rely so much on ;)

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2018 11:08 am
durosity offline

Indeed caution is sensible! I was worried about my upgrade to HS but didn’t see any alternatives as other software I use on it now requires it. But happily it works perfectly.

Computer says no.

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2018 12:16 pm
Different Computers offline

I've been running 10.12.x for about 5 months now and it has been rock solid. I'm even using a USB hub to connect to my Insteon interface without trouble.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2018 3:28 pm
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Cloning my system now, hopefully everything goes without incident! Thanks for the comments.

Check Them Out Here

Posted on
Tue May 08, 2018 4:36 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

I've been using Sierra for my dev Mac since it was released. There were some initial issues but those seem to have cleared up.

Pondering the move to High Sierra (to get the latest Xcode - the forced march continues), but man Apple makes OS upgrades extremely painful with their terrible (dare I say horrific?) quality issues.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed May 09, 2018 6:46 am
Colorado4Wheeler offline

Well the upgrade went fine, now to debate going to High Sierra. It seems that folks who had the USB issue had trouble rolling back too so I'm on the fence there.

jay (support) wrote:
Apple makes OS upgrades extremely painful with their terrible (dare I say horrific?) quality issues.

I've had excellent experiences with most macOS upgrades, I think the only one that had issues was Yosemite for me. The only Mac that doesn't automatically get updated is my Indigo Mac because there always seems to be new OS issue between the two.

Check Them Out Here

Page 1 of 1