getting latest version from the plugin store

Posted on
Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:36 pm
kw123 offline

getting latest version from the plugin store

I guess there is an easier way to get the latest release of a plugin from within the plugin than to "manually parse " the xml returned from a curl like:

curl https://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/xx

Any hint welcome

Karl

Posted on
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:43 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: getting latest version from the plugin store

kw123 wrote:
I guess there is an easier way to get the latest release of a plugin from within the plugin than to "manually parse " the xml returned from a curl like:

curl https://www.indigodomo.com/pluginstore/xx

Any hint welcome

Here's a hint: don't do it. Parsing the HTML returned is a bad idea as we may change the format of the plugin store HTML pages at any time and that could break your script (in fact that's likely to happen given the newness of the store - lots of feedback that will likely result in changes).

Also, we'd like to point out that using a similar sort of hack has recently resulted in one of our systems getting hammered by a runaway script that failed across a variety of users of the script - causing us to have some downtime by an unintentional DDOS attack. So we would seriously discourage you from doing anything like this. If you want to do update checks in your plugins before we have it built-in to the ecosystem, then we'd encourage you to use Github's APIs to get releases from your Github repos.

As we've said before, we understand that update checking and management is an important feature and we intend to address it. Please be patient.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Jan 30, 2018 5:19 pm
howartp offline

jay (support) wrote:
resulted in one of our systems getting hammered by a runaway script that failed across a variety of users of the script - causing us to have some downtime by an unintentional DDOS attack.

Heehee, go on, spill the beans - who was it?

I always thought that Dur[redacted].... was up to no good!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:35 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

It wasn't intentional by any means and the culprit has more than enough Indigo karma saved up to balance the additional $1 or so we had to pay in bandwidth, so no public flogging is needed. :)

Posted on
Wed Jan 31, 2018 12:47 am
howartp offline

Aww, spoilsport!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Posted on
Wed Jan 31, 2018 11:40 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

matt (support) wrote:
It wasn't intentional by any means and the culprit has more than enough Indigo karma saved up to balance the additional $1 or so we had to pay in bandwidth, so no public flogging is needed. :)

Absolutely - this was meant by no means to make said person feel bad in any way. Rather, just a reminder that sometimes things can have unexpected side effects... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Page 1 of 1