running IndigoServer under non-admin accounts

Posted on
Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:16 pm
Perry The Cynic offline

Running IndigoServer as a daemon

For what it's worth, I am running IndigoServer 3.0b18 as a daemon (via a /Library/LaunchDaemons file) under Leopard Server (10.5.2). There is a warning about inability to connect to the windowserver on startup, but that does not seem to affect operation. I am <b>not</b> using any options to launch it, and AppleScript seems to work as long as you don't try any user interaction. The server is up and running (and working) even before the login window shows up, and nobody needs to log in.
Now, obviously I don't know if <b>everything</b> is working. I'm just getting started with Indigo, and my configuration is fairly straight-forward. All I can say is I haven't run into any problems yet. I can connect to the server both locally and from other computers. (Even the local Indigo client acts "remote" because I'm running the server as a special non-privileged user.)

So whatever trouble you all have run into in the past, don't seem to affect me at this point. If you have questions about my setup, ask away.
-- perry

Posted on
Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:21 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Running IndigoServer as a daemon

Hi Perry,

I had heard a couple of years ago that the daemon/windowserver issue was going to be better in Leopard. Sounds like that is indeed the case. Thanks for the report. I know that pre-Leopard you definitely had to pass the IndigoServer the -daemon flag or the OS wouldn't let it start, but I hadn't tried it on Leopard yet.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:24 pm
jchiar offline

(No subject)

Does the dashboard still use applescript?

Does it still not connect if the server runs as a daemon?

Posted on
Mon Jun 23, 2008 2:58 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

The Widget is still using AppleScript.

If you use the -daemon flag when starting the Indigo Server, then it will not work as that flag tells Indigo to disable all AppleScript support. But I believe when running under Leopard you no longer need to specify that flag, so in that case it might work.

Regards,
Matt

Posted on
Thu Jul 02, 2009 3:50 am
anothersphere offline

So how do you launch version 4 as a daemon?

The instructions mostly seem to be for previous versions?

Martin Miller

Auckland - New Zealand

Posted on
Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:22 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: So how do you launch version 4 as a daemon?

anothersphere wrote:
The instructions mostly seem to be for previous versions?

Nothing about these instructions should have changed for v4.x. YMMV since we don't specifically support this configuration and therefore don't test it.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:41 am
anothersphere offline

jay wrote:
Nothing about these instructions should have changed for v4.x. YMMV since we don't specifically support this configuration and therefore don't test it.

Other than the paths mention v2 etc and not v4 ?
Dont understand why this is not supported?!

Martin Miller

Auckland - New Zealand

Posted on
Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:29 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

anothersphere wrote:
ther than the paths mention v2 etc and not v4 ?

You got me there. Yes, the path to all the appropriate folders for v4 is:

/Library/Application Support/Perceptive Automation/Indigo 4

anothersphere wrote:
Dont understand why this is not supported?!

One of the major advantages of using Indigo is its ability to integrate with other applications via AppleScript. While AppleScripts that target Indigo are mostly functional in this configuration, any integration to other applications is problematic.

We also have very little user demand for this functionality, so we opt to spend our precious development resources on items that most users want (supporting new devices and controllers, more flexible conditions, etc. to name a few from the 4.1 release).

That said, we do nothing to disable this functionality, and in fact have made some changes so it's possible for users to run the server as a daemon.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Fri Oct 02, 2009 11:00 pm
wwhigginsjr offline

(No subject)

All-

Now running Indigo v4.1 with a PLM 2412U on a headless Mac Mini with Mac OS X v10.6.1 (Snow Leopard). Instructions above are still (mostly) good, but with following exceptions:

1) Don't need -daemon flag in launchd plist (and Lingon v2.1.1 doesn't add it).
2) Lingon v2.1.1 gets the syntax wrong in specifying the path to the Indigo 4 Server application. In "Basic Mode," Lingon adds the "\" character before any spaces in the path. Switch to expert mode, take the "\" characters out, leave the space characters in, and the revised path specification should be good to go.

-Bill

Posted on
Sun Oct 11, 2009 3:49 pm
Forrest offline

(No subject)

I apologize in advance for a question which may be answered in this thread, but I got lost in the Unix...

I don't want to keep an admin account logged in all the time. Several people use my computer, and typically are always logged in using fast user switching, but of course only one account is active at any one time. Much of the day no one is active and the computer sits at the sign-in screen.

I would like Indigo to be always running under a non-admin account which may or may not be active. Is there a simple way to do this? Will AppleScript work?

Thanks for your help!

Posted on
Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:04 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

(No subject)

I think you want to read over this thread about running Indigo Server as a system daemon. If it is running as a daemon then it will be running in the background always (before any users even log in).