[ANSWERED]Corrupt database

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2020 3:40 pm
akimball offline

Re: [ANSWERED]Corrupt database

The drive is the solid state drive soldered down to the MacMini_2018 motherboard. I have been having random shutdowns every few weeks and need to increase the RAM... which isn't soldered down. I may have earlier database files from 2 years ago on my old MacMini.

Assuming I can find one of those, then it won't be so much to reconstruct (wife is most worried about sprinklers).

Can I import an indigo 7.0 or indigo 6.0 database file to run under Indigo 7.4? I'm about to go looking for it.... will need to gather a monitor and keyboard and wipe off the dust from these older Mac mini's.

...and thanks.

-Al

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2020 3:58 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Yes, newer versions of Indigo can, in theory, open any older version of Indigo database. Not much QA is done opening really old databases (like v1) but we rarely (maybe only once or twice) encounter users that have had problems openning old databases.

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2020 4:01 pm
akimball offline

Thanks!! :). That's very very cool. I have Indigo 6, 7, and 7.2 databases on my older Mac mini 2014 so that really saves most of my system.

I think I'll only be rebuilding most of Alexa and all of Siri. Whew! Close one. I'll know the extent of it all soon.

-Al

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2020 5:01 pm
akimball offline

Thank you Matt for the help. The database from 7.2 loaded nicely with only a few hiccups having to do with cynical security spy plugin. Yes I lost a few recent tweaks but they were just tweaks.

First on my agenda is to make sure I'm backing up my system.
Second will be to quit procrastinating getting more memory in my MacMini 2018.... the restarts all seem to be related to having minimal memory.
Third... This is a great opportunity for me to get Alexa and Siri in complete sync with each other. I like to use Siri... wife likes Alexa. Siri is faster and wife doesn't care.

Thanks again.

-Al

Posted on
Sun May 24, 2020 10:11 pm
akimball offline

I'm so sold on Indigo and the awesome support. Thank you again. You got me up and running and made my wife very happy.... especially now that I attached an external dedicated 1TB SSD for a time machine backup. It was ultra stupid of me to risk running this setup without that backup but it is now rectified. The failure has also prompted me to buy much more RAM for my Mac mini in order to help quelch the all-too-frequent lockups my Mac experiences (every month to 2 months... that should NEVER happen).

Finally, stepping back to a database that it two years old may be a blessing too, since one issue I've had is not keeping Siri and Alexa in sync with each other.... what I setup on one needs to be setup on the other. Now I have a chance to do that.

I have also decided to keep one copy of the indigo database on my iCloud account server too... each year. Just to make a copy which doesn't live in the house.

-Al

Posted on
Mon May 25, 2020 12:42 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Terrific – I'm glad you have it back up and running again. Thanks for the feedback!

Posted on
Tue May 26, 2020 9:52 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

akimball wrote:
especially now that I attached an external dedicated 1TB SSD for a time machine backup. It was ultra stupid of me to risk running this setup without that backup but it is now rectified.

A word from someone that just recently got bit: test a recovery of your DB from Time Machine, particularly after you get it pretty much set up. I suffered with the dreaded -36 error when trying to recover several files from my Time Machine backup and was never able to find a way to "fix" it (fortunately I found an older copy another way). I have been periodically checking file recovery since then and aside from going too far back I haven't seen the problem recently. It sucks when you can't trust your backups, and it seems (very unfortunately) that Apple's QA problems extend to Time Machine as well... :cry:

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn