Sun Nov 27, 2022 12:53 pm
Turribeach offline

[Errno 8] nodename nor servname provided, or not known

So I have been getting the following error on my Indigo logs:

Code: Select all
[Errno 8] nodename nor servname provided, or not known

The error typically occurs when trying to send an email:

Code: Select all
Email+ Error                    Email+ SMTP Server: SMTP server connection error: [Errno 8] nodename nor servname provided, or not known

However this is not an Indigo error nor it's exclusive to Indigo. Having now done a search on this error I even found it on some Python scripts that run out outside of Indigo. The error doesn't happen all the time, only ocasionally. Usually it's 3-5 times a day. Given the "random" nature of the errors I am inclined to think it's some sort of transient issue. I found this SO post that talks about of max open files. So I followed the guide on this site to increase the max open files on my Mac to 524288 however the error is still showing up. I looked at my logs and the first time I saw this error was on 9-June this year. I looked at all the software that was installed in my Mac in the last month using System Information, see below. The closest match is Xcode v13.4.1 but that was 6 days before the first know error in my logs. MacOS v12.4 was installed on 24-May but again a bit earlier than the first error. I have now even moved to MacOS Ventura v13.0.1 but the errors are still present.

Has anyone seen this error? Any ideas how to fix it?

Thanks!

Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 6.44.07 pm.png
Screenshot 2022-11-27 at 6.44.07 pm.png (122.04 KiB) Viewed 803 times

Posted on
Tue Nov 29, 2022 3:12 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: [Errno 8] nodename nor servname provided, or not known

In this case I think it is more likely an actual DNS (or other network) error and not related to the maximum number of files open. If you haven't already you might try pointing to a different DNS server.

Posted on
Wed Dec 14, 2022 7:17 am
Turribeach offline

Re: [Errno 8] nodename nor servname provided, or not known

Hi Matt, I think you are right. After some more additional troubleshooting I have been able to pretty much pinpoint this to small "micro cuts" from my ISP which last for a minute or so. After looking at changes in my Mac it's clear this error appeared after I installed Indigo 2022.1. So my guess is that the way Python 3 deals with DNS network errors it's the reason I have started to see this error (perhaps I should see the way Python does not deal with this error).

Page 1 of 1