Indigo Server 2021.1 on a headless Mac Mini

Posted on
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:08 pm
sarahcat offline

Indigo Server 2021.1 on a headless Mac Mini

I moved my Indigo installation and interfaces to a Mac Mini, running Catalina and a new SSD hard disk. I do have the client running on my primary Mac, and there is a display and Bluetooth keyboard and trackpad on the Mac Mini that is running Indigo Server. It's my intention to run this Mini, headless and I know that once it's booted and the application started, I could disconnect the keyboard, trackpad, and display. My concern is that when and if the Mini has an OS glitch and restarts, which happens, will the Mini fully reboot without a display, keyboard, and mouse/trackpad?

I know that there are simply display emulators that will plug in to the computer and respond to the OS as a display, but without a keyboard and mouse, will the Mini fully restart and run Indigo Server in the background? Without some other simulator(s), I'm thinking it won't, since the absence of a mouse or keyboard upon restart, shows a dialog box that wants a mouse and keyboard.

If you are running Indigo Server on a headless computer, e.g., a Mini, how do you handle this problem? Once it's fully restarted, I can access the computer from remote desktop or Indigo from the remote client.

Thanks in advance!

Posted on
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:34 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Indigo Server 2021.1 on a headless Mac Mini

I run mine headless with no mouse or keyboard. Reboots fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:39 am
norcoscia offline

Same here - no keyboard or mouse on mine and it reboots fine - sometimes if doing an OS update it can take a long time but it always reboots.

_______
Norm

Posted on
Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:55 am
kw123 offline

if you shutdown manually ie through an APC and the power goes off and comes back on it will not auto reboot.

Only if the power goes off while it is running then it will reboot when the power comes back online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Posted on
Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:44 pm
eme jota ce offline

I've run Indigo on a Headless Mac mini for more than a decade. Works great.
Remotely login, when needed.
Regarding Karl's note that a graceful shutdown when connected to a UPS will not automatically restart when power returns, I have Indigo message me when it senses a loss of power and also have the Mac mini to start each day, for example at 5am. Limits the amount of time that the system might be down if we are on vacation.

Posted on
Wed Oct 27, 2021 9:56 pm
sarahcat offline

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Posted on
Mon Dec 27, 2021 9:30 am
kennybroh offline

I run my Mini headless as well (although I do have Logitech keyboard and mouse which I can pair to multiple devices). Whenever I need to re-boot or want to make changes to the Indigo Server--which happens a lot-- I simply share the screen from another Mac. This is especially convenient when testing something, adding a new module, setting up a scene involving the brightness level multiple lights in asome area, or to see why something isn't acting the way you expect.

I can take a laptop to the place I am working,and sharing the Mini Screen is no different from being phsically hooked to the Mini So, for example, if I add a new module and want to have Indigo define and sync it I can do that right where I am and then test. I've also set that machine up to be reachable via VNC from outsitde the network, so if something happens and I'm not home I can share the screen from anywhere,.

Posted on
Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:21 pm
eme jota ce offline

Ran indigo from a headless Mac mini successfully for 10+ years. No problems.

That said, I've been adding more Z-Wave 700 series recently and the new Z-Sticks don't have inclusion / exclusion buttons, so we can't take the stick to the device. While remote inclusion / exclusion seems to work pretty well, I've been happier to have moved Indigo to a MacBook Air that can be transported to faraway Z-Wave devices (and locks that are close) for inclusion / exclusion.

Posted on
Tue Dec 28, 2021 11:07 am
kennybroh offline

Right-- that's basically what I am doing with screen share on a MacBook Pro.

Page 1 of 1