Indigo server is still crashing ...

Posted on
Sun Oct 03, 2021 11:16 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo server is still crashing ...

The Indigo UI app controls starting the Indigo Server. You only want to press the Start Server or choose the Indigo->Start Local Server... menu item from 1 macOS user account. Pick which account you want to start the Indigo Server and that should be the only account you ever choose that menu item or press the Start Server button if the dialog happens to show. On your other macOS user account you will choose the Indigo->Connect to Remote Server... menu item and enter the address 127.0.0.1 or localhost.

Whenever the Indigo UI app is launched it will remember which "mode" it is in based on what you last did. If you chose Start Server it will try to start up a new server (and then automatically connect to it), whereas if you chose Connect to Remote Server it will just connect to the already running Indigo Server (it must of course have already been started, in your case by the other macOS user). That is, in the latter case it won't start the server but in the former it will.

I'm fixing the crash that occurs when a 2nd Indigo Server instance tries to start for the next Indigo feature release, but note the root problem here is that you have multiple macOS user accounts trying to start the Indigo Server.

Lastly note you may need to restart your Mac after stopping the Indigo Server under the other account to get the repeated crashes to stop.

Posted on
Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:12 pm
rlesperance offline

Got back from a short vacation and found that the computer crashed completely on October 3th. No user where logged in upon my return. The Console crash list is attached.
Attachments
Console crash list (03-10-21).jpg
Console crash list (03-10-21).jpg (321.77 KiB) Viewed 2127 times

Posted on
Sat Oct 09, 2021 7:57 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

That is showing Indigo Server being restarted (after crashing) a bunch of times, most likely again because it is being launched under multiple macOS user accounts. Indigo Server should only be launched under one macOS user account.

Posted on
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:21 am
rlesperance offline

Matt,

Please understand that I am novice at understanding the Indigo app's complexity. My comments can be seen as obvious but they are not to me.

While I understand that the crashes can «most likely» be the result of IndigoServer being launched under multiple user accounts, I recall that I was given some instructions by FlyingDiver to avoid that. I modified the preferences accordingly and the IS still crashes when both user accounts are logged in. More, since I've returned yesterday, I did not logged in my PersonalUser account («Nous») and IS still crashes even if (apparently) it is only launched in the GuestUser account («Accueil»). Please consult Console's GuestUser crash report that I got this morning.

I have been using the Indigo app without problem for years. Now is quite the opposite. IS crashes repeatedly and it is now having effects on my computer's stability. That troubles me.

I understand that only one IS can be running at a given time on a computer ... and that statement brings a few questions to mind:

1. Are you able to see if there are many IS instances running for real and where they are ?

2. Couldn't launching multi instances of IS be prevented by Indigo itself ? If the local IS is running, isn't it possible for Indigo to prevent IS launching from a secondary account by mistake ?

3. I cannot understand either why the the Start Local Server and the Connect to Remote Server options are offered in the GuestUser when the IS is already running in the background ?

But the real point here is not those software comments but rather how you can help me getting out of this problem.

Isn't there reports or info I can send to help you have a better understanding of what is going on here ?

If it can be of any help, can you give me precise instructions (1) to preserve my home database and my preferences, and (2) to completely uninstall Indigo ? I would later reinstall it all over again. This way we would be sure that there is no ghost hiding nowhere.

Thanks for helping.

Robert
Attachments
Indigo crashes (10-10-21 11H13).jpg
Indigo crashes (10-10-21 11H13).jpg (202.05 KiB) Viewed 2092 times
IndigoServer options from GuestUser.jpg
IndigoServer options from GuestUser.jpg (27.02 KiB) Viewed 2092 times
Last edited by rlesperance on Sun Oct 10, 2021 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Posted on
Sun Oct 10, 2021 10:57 am
rlesperance offline

Things are getting too technical for me. Just realized that while the crash reports indicated 10-10-21 at 01H05, the underlying event is dated the 09-10-21 à 19H00. So my comment about that is probably wrong.

Where do we start ?

Comment modified: I suspect the 10-10-21 01H05 crash report to have been logged when my backup software (Carbon Copy Cloner) was set to reactivate the system if unavailable. It was then reporting the crashes that occurred earlier.
Attachments
Crash info misdated.jpg
Crash info misdated.jpg (17.5 KiB) Viewed 2087 times
Last edited by rlesperance on Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:07 am
rlesperance offline

As an add-on to my software comments, Indigo should not Start or Stop Local Server from a User account that is not the one where Indigo is installed. Or those options shouyld be greyed out for the remote user.

Like I said, this case is to software deep for me. While I make comments, I am not sure of their limitation or accuracy.

Posted on
Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:23 am
rlesperance offline

On my iOS devices, the host port is 8176.

In Indigo GuestUser's preferences window, I see to use the 1176 port, as I also see in the Connect to Remote Server window in the PersonalUser account.

Are these preferences contradictory ?
Attachments
PersonalUser port pref.jpg
PersonalUser port pref.jpg (38.1 KiB) Viewed 2091 times
Indigo prefs (10-10-21).jpg
Indigo prefs (10-10-21).jpg (35.46 KiB) Viewed 2094 times

Posted on
Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:03 pm
rlesperance offline

matt (support) wrote:
Lastly note you may need to restart your Mac after stopping the Indigo Server under the other account to get the repeated crashes to stop.

From the PersonalUser account, do I Stop Connection or Stop the Server ?

To my comprehension, from the PersonalUser, I should not be able to control the Remote Server that belongs exclusively to the GuestUser ... thus, I should interrupt my connection with the Remote Server and choose the Stop Connection menu item.

If I try the Stop the Server option Indigo returns a message saying that I am not allowed to do that while that option was clearly available (in black) in the menu list. I choose the Stop Connection option and the IS crashed soon after as usual.

Finally, I restarted my iMac. The GuestUser logged in automatically as it is supposed. I could check that IS was working even if the Indigo app was not running since I could control Indigo from my iPhone. I then logged in the PersonalUser, launched Indigo and soon after the IS crashed again.

Posted on
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:05 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Using these definitions:

"main user account" -> account under which you will be running the Indigo Server (and client/UI if you want).
"secondary user account" -> account under which you are only going to run the Indigo client/UI (never the server).

Do the following:

1) Under macOS System Preferences->Users & Groups choose Login Items and make sure that nothing Indigo related is shown (delete any Indigo related items). Never use Login Items for Indigo. Login to both your secondary and main user accounts and make sure there are no Indigo related login items under either user account.

2) Under the macOS secondary user account (that should NOT be running the Indigo Server) launch the Indigo client (UI) app.

3) Choose Indigo->Stop Server menu item if it is enabled.

4) Choose Indigo->Connect to Remote Server... menu item. Enter localhost as the server address to connect to. If it fails to connect that is okay for now.

IMPORTANT: After this point never choose the Indigo->Start Local Server from the Indigo client app under secondary user account. Doing so will cause the Indigo client to try to start the server under this account which you never want to do (to avoid the crashing).

5) While still under the macOS secondary user account choose the Finder Go->Go to Folder... menu item and copy/paste in:

Code: Select all
~/Library/LaunchAgents

6) In the folder window that appears delete the file com.perceptiveautomation.IndigoServer2.plist if it exists.

7) Restart your Mac.

At this point your secondary user account should not try to start the Indigo Server. If you launch the Indigo client (UI) app then it should just connect to the already running Indigo Server. If the server isn't running then it won't connect. Do NOT try to start the server under this account. You have to pick a single macOS user account under which to start the server (what I'm calling main user account). You can switch to that macOS user account and start the server. After that point you can switch back to the secondary user account and connect to the server already running (localhost).

The next version of Indigo will not crash if multiple copies of Indigo Server are started. This will avoid all the crash reports you are seeing, but it is still essential that you follow all the steps above and never launch the Indigo Server from your secondary user account. You must pick a single macOS user account and only start the Indigo Server under that account. Indigo will not work correctly if you try to start the server under multiple accounts. Basically, never choose Indigo->Start Local Server... from a secondary user account. If you do you'll likely need to follow all the steps above again.

Posted on
Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:08 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Also, if this doesn't work it is essential that you follow the steps exactly and document what the result of each step is so we can troubleshoot further.

Posted on
Sat Oct 16, 2021 9:31 pm
rlesperance offline

Thanks. I will give ir a try tomorrow morning.

Today, I have migrated to a new iMac (27" 2019). I deactivated the licence on my previous iMac (27" 2013) as requested in the message I got.

I now need help to reactivate my license on the new computer. I tried working that around my self and did not succeed.

Posted on
Sun Oct 17, 2021 2:03 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

On the old Mac did you restart the Indigo Server (or reboot that Mac which might have automatically restarted it)? That will grab the license activation again, in which case you will need to deactivate it again (on the old Mac). If that doesn't work email us.

Posted on
Sun Oct 17, 2021 4:24 pm
rlesperance offline

The old iMac is running but there is no Indigo startup stuff in neither of it's users's item. It is also not connected to the internet, neither by ethernet nor by wifi. Would the old Indigo setup interfere with the new iMac Indigo setup if connected to the same wifi network only... or does it require to be wired ?

Because I don't understand clearly how all the Indigo stuff works in the background, that makes me doubt about what I am really doing. I will stick with your recommandations though.

I am sure that there are some Indigo daemons or apps that loads and runs in the background. I cannot explain why I say that, but there were conditions where the Indigo app was running only on the secondary user and the server was active in Indigo on my iPhone. That means that the IS was running even if the primary user was not logged in. And that is after I had stopped the IS in the main user and had not stared or connected to the IS in the secondary user all that before logging in the secondary user. So, I will be very glad when I will finally understand how all this IS works in the foreground and the background.

I will begin testing once I will be able to activate the Indigo app on the new iMac.

Can you help me with that ? I tried yesterday evening and was not able to do that.

Posted on
Sun Oct 17, 2021 5:57 pm
rlesperance offline

Oups ... the Indigo app is activated on the new iMac. I will be back soon.