Big Sur release on 10/12/20

Posted on
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:25 pm
srkinard offline

Hey Matt & Jay....

What's the general state of Indigo on Big Sur? Are there known, major incompatibilities you guys have observed so far?

Just curious.

Thanks
Ross

Posted on
Wed Nov 11, 2020 5:53 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Big Sur release on 10/12/20

The last Big Sur beta that we tested seemed to work fine, and there were several reports here on the forums of that as well. We haven't tested the final yet (since it comes out tomorrow), but we'll do that within the next week or so. If you're feeling like living on the edge a bit, then give it a try. If you're risk adverse, then I'd recommend that you wait for a while - let us (or early adopters) find any issues if there are any before you take the plunge.

As you may recall from last year and early this year, Catalina had LOTS of issues (none of which caused significant Indigo issues but rather mostly outside of Indigo). I never actually upgraded my main (development) Mac because I just didn't trust it after attempting an upgrade early this year and failing miserably.

I REALLY hope Big Sur will reverse the crappy QA track record Apple has had over the past several macOS releases...

(but I'm not holding my breath)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Nov 11, 2020 6:11 pm
srkinard offline

I've been running the betas on my daily driver laptop since WWDC. With the exception of one REALLY annoying bug in Mail with my rules moving messages to subfolders, it's been fairly solid since Beta 7.

Not sure if/when I'll update my Indigo server since I also use that to run Simplify 3D for slicing files to print...and last time I tried S3D it fails to launch in Big Sur.

So we'll see.

Posted on
Wed Nov 11, 2020 10:35 pm
srkinard offline

Looks like whatever Big Sur had that was incompatible with Simplify 3D has been corrected for the release...I can finally run S3D on my laptop again. Good because my Indigo server is the quad core i3 mini and my laptop is the 8-core i9...slicing and 3D viewing is much faster on the laptop.

I'll make a clone of the mini with Catalina before I update it to Big Sur, then let you know how it goes.

Posted on
Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:39 pm
Ramias offline

Updated my Indigo mac min 2018 to Big Sur just now.

No errors in logs. Just unlocked and locked the front door via ZWave. All indications so far so good.

Posted on
Thu Nov 12, 2020 8:43 pm
srkinard offline

Yeah...I just completed the upgrade on my 2018 mini (i3) a bit ago and all seems normal. Homekit Bridge, Grafana, etc. all seem to be working normally so far.

Posted on
Fri Nov 13, 2020 8:26 am
Different Computers offline

srkinard wrote:
Yeah...I just completed the upgrade on my 2018 mini (i3) a bit ago and all seems normal. Homekit Bridge, Grafana, etc. all seem to be working normally so far.

Did any of these require ground up reinstalls that included having to reinstall things like HomeBrew?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:20 am
gadgetfreak98 offline

Are there any issues with the FTPI (or whatever it is called) connection for the USB 2413U unit? e.g., is the interface connection problematic at all?

Posted on
Fri Nov 13, 2020 9:44 am
autolog offline

Is it just me that is in a time-warp regarding the thread subject: Big Sur release on 10/12/20 :?

It was released yesterday on the 12th November 2020.

Given the international audience for Indigo, we should be more specific and clear regarding dates; let alone getting them correct. :D

Posted on
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:11 am
gadgetfreak98 offline

gadgetfreak98 wrote:
Are there any issues with the FTPI (or whatever it is called) connection for the USB 2413U unit? e.g., is the interface connection problematic at all?

I guess to be more clear, I think I got a warning about legacy system extensions being unusable in the next OS. Would that affect anything with Indigo?

Posted on
Fri Nov 13, 2020 11:35 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

gadgetfreak98 wrote:
I guess to be more clear, I think I got a warning about legacy system extensions being unusable in the next OS. Would that affect anything with Indigo?

The FTDI driver continues to be included in macOS, even in Big Sur. It worked correctly in our testing (and seems to be for others as well), and shouldn't be the cause of that warning message. If you have the old kernel extension that Indigo used to install for the 2414U and the CM15, that might cause that dialog to pop up. You should be able to see what's caused it by looking at the Security & Privacy system preference.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Nov 13, 2020 1:17 pm
srkinard offline

autolog wrote:
Is it just me that is in a time-warp regarding the thread subject: Big Sur release on 10/12/20 :?

It was released yesterday on the 12th November 2020.

Given the international audience for Indigo, we should be more specific and clear regarding dates; let alone getting them correct. :D

Given you guys drive on the wrong side of the road too...'MURICA! Deal with my date/time format! (let's hope that mentality is getting a reality check now)

Actually, I do apologize for not just formatting the date out fully and using a locale-based layout. Been doing a bunch of timeline projections at work and it's had me in the MM/DD/YY mode.

lol...sorry for the disrespect and confusion to my foreign friends...but aren't you guys accustomed to confusion and all from us here now?

Ross

Posted on
Fri Nov 20, 2020 9:28 am
Different Computers offline

gadgetfreak98 wrote:

I can't speak authoritatively, but I'm pretty certain that Indigo and the plugins I know of do not install any system extensions. Odds are extremely good that if you got that notice, it was triggered by something like an antivirus or VPN program that needs to be updated.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Fri Nov 20, 2020 10:27 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Different Computers wrote:
gadgetfreak98 wrote:

I can't speak authoritatively, but I'm pretty certain that Indigo and the plugins I know of do not install any system extensions. Odds are extremely good that if you got that notice, it was triggered by something like an antivirus or VPN program that needs to be updated.

Check this topic for one possible explanation of a message like this.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Fri Nov 20, 2020 3:28 pm
durosity offline

Minor request.. when the next indigo update appears (I’m guessing 2023? ) can you adjust the icon size to match the default big sur size? On my dock it looks so horribly out of place amongst all the other perfectly matching icons..

Edit: Just realised this is my 4000th post. I'd like to thank my friends, parents. coach and that guy that to pickpocket me but I caught him red handed for this monumental moment. But I couldn't have done it without you.. so really this award belongs to us all. Thank you and good night.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Computer says no.