Door Lock - Z-wave with Encryption

Posted on
Sat Jul 20, 2019 12:32 pm
Dewster35 offline

Door Lock - Z-wave with Encryption

So I recently picked up two new door locks by Yale, 150$ a piece on prime day! I've had the keyed deadbolt version for several years now and for the most part I've been happy with it.

The new model is:
YRD256ZW2619
Both are running the same firmware:

I was able to sync the first device that was inside the house and within a few feet from several other z-wave devices.

I synced with encryption turned on, it paired and all was well.

I tried to do the same on the second device and it was not pairing. Assuming it was out of range as Z-wave tends to be flakey in my house for some reason, I went downstairs and grabbed the aeotec z-stick and put it into inclusion mode. I was able to add it. I was able to see it in indigo. However, while from the Indigo side it appears to be functioning (aside from getting the response from the device that it did indeed lock as I get from the other one), mechanically it is not responding.

I thought maybe I could simply resend with encryption turned on, thinking it was the encryption that was the issue, but that failed.

Any other troubleshooting approaches I can take?

Posted on
Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:28 pm
FlyingDiver offline

Re: Door Lock - Z-wave with Encryption

Dewster35 wrote:
I tried to do the same on the second device and it was not pairing. Assuming it was out of range as Z-wave tends to be flakey in my house for some reason, I went downstairs and grabbed the aeotec z-stick and put it into inclusion mode. I was able to add it. I was able to see it in indigo. However, while from the Indigo side it appears to be functioning (aside from getting the response from the device that it did indeed lock as I get from the other one), mechanically it is not responding.

I thought maybe I could simply resend with encryption turned on, thinking it was the encryption that was the issue, but that failed.

Any other troubleshooting approaches I can take?

Locks have to be included with encryption on, and it can't be done with just the z-stick. It has to be done with the z-stick connected to Indigo. You'll need to dismount the lock and move it close to the Indigo server while you include it.

Don't forget to exclude it first.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Sat Jul 20, 2019 1:49 pm
Dewster35 offline

Had to bust out the 35' usb cable but it worked! Thanks!

Does anyone know if the newer z-wave controllers utilize the other z-wave devices that are repeaters for inclusion? Granted this was about the most extreme distance I would likely have, my house isn't that big.

Posted on
Sun Jul 21, 2019 10:22 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

NWI is the inclusion technology that allows you to include devices over the network. That technology is implemented in all the controllers that we support, so I'm not sure why it didn't work for you. I suppose that the signal path might be bottlenecked through another Z-Wave device that's not passing along the necessary packets for NWI to work, but I've never heard of that before.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Jul 21, 2019 7:48 pm
Dewster35 offline

jay (support) wrote:
NWI is the inclusion technology that allows you to include devices over the network. That technology is implemented in all the controllers that we support, so I'm not sure why it didn't work for you. I suppose that the signal path might be bottlenecked through another Z-Wave device that's not passing along the necessary packets for NWI to work, but I've never heard of that before.

I suppose it may just be the device? It was in the garage and there is heavy fire retarding materials between that wall and the house. However, now that I know that, the least I can do is bring the battery powered devices to the controller rather than trying to get the controller to the devices! So rarely do I add anything new anymore I feel like a newb :mrgreen:

Posted on
Mon Jul 22, 2019 8:44 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Dewster35 wrote:
I suppose it may just be the device? It was in the garage and there is heavy fire retarding materials between that wall and the house. However, now that I know that, the least I can do is bring the battery powered devices to the controller rather than trying to get the controller to the devices! So rarely do I add anything new anymore I feel like a newb :mrgreen:

It could be the device - battery powered devices probably (speculation on my part granted) have slightly less range/strength given the balance of battery life. I wonder if you put something hard wired (repeater or other plugged in device) on the internal wall with the garage to help penetrate the wall into the garage.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Jul 22, 2019 4:27 pm
Dewster35 offline

That makes sense. The only powered z-wave switch is two walls within the house so I think you may be on to something.

Posted on
Sat Jul 27, 2019 6:20 pm
mundmc offline

I had the same issue with my garage . A couple zwave repeaters (~$50 i think) fixed that and a lot of other less reliable zwave problems. Just remember interfaces->zwave->optimize network

Page 1 of 1