iOS 6 "Guided Access"

Posted on
Mon Jun 11, 2012 7:55 pm
DU Lou offline

iOS 6 "Guided Access"

It looks like guided access may be an exciting feature that indigo touch clients can take advantage of in iOS 6. It should allow iOS devices around home to be set up as kiosks and have certain features on the device disabled such as the home button. In other words indigo touch could be the 'always on' app for these devices.

http://isource.com/2012/06/11/new-guided-access-mode-in-ios-6-opens-up-lots-of-possibilities/

What do you think?

Posted on
Mon Jun 11, 2012 8:06 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: iOS 6 "Guided Access"

We'll be looking at all available OS features when we revisit Indigo Touch - not sure when that will be.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:58 pm
howartp offline

Why, why, why have I only just discovered this???

Guided Access is absolutely ideal for kiosk-mode iPads which you want to lock into Indigo Touch.

There's a great guide here on how to set it up. :-)

Peter

Posted on
Sun Mar 15, 2015 7:46 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Guided Access is absolutely ideal for kiosk-mode iPads which you want to lock into Indigo Touch.

BTW, just to second you on this, guided access does work well - I enable this for my iOS application that our company uses to present information during trade shows... thus far has been rock solid and nobody has figured out a way to break out of it, at least not while on the trade show floor.

Adam

Posted on
Mon Mar 16, 2015 1:09 am
howartp offline

Once I'd heard of it, I searched this forum - you're the only other person who mentioned it, in a HousePad feature comparison thread!

Turned it on last night on my lounge iPad and it's great. Shame the screen-dim no longer works. (Well, it works 15 seconds before auto-lock, whatever that is set to, but mine is Never, therefore it dims 15 seconds before never. :-(

Posted on
Mon Mar 16, 2015 5:22 am
durosity offline

Re: iOS 6

howartp wrote:
Once I'd heard of it, I searched this forum - you're the only other person who mentioned it, in a HousePad feature comparison thread!

Turned it on last night on my lounge iPad and it's great. Shame the screen-dim no longer works. (Well, it works 15 seconds before auto-lock, whatever that is set to, but mine is Never, therefore it dims 15 seconds before never. :-(

I don't have it up and running at the moment so i can't test it but i think i remember seeing a setting in OS X Server Profile Manager that let you push brightness settings (along with other things) to an enrolled iPad. Perhaps you could setup a trigger or action in Indigo to change that setting? Perhaps via an Applescript?

Computer says no.

Posted on
Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:57 am
RogueProeliator offline

Turned it on last night on my lounge iPad and it's great. Shame the screen-dim no longer works. (Well, it works 15 seconds before auto-lock, whatever that is set to, but mine is Never, therefore it dims 15 seconds before never.

I assume that is the behavior that you get when you "Enable Screen Sleep" within the Guided Access settings area? I don't have any experience with that part of it as we specifically turned OFF the screen sleep as the iPads are showing demo videos on the televisions when not being used for specific demos.

Adam

Posted on
Mon Mar 16, 2015 7:59 am
howartp offline

Enable screen sleep isn't available on iOS 8; think it disappeared iOS 7 according to google.

Page 1 of 1