Hidden devices and general iPhone app observations

Posted on
Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:45 pm
berkinet offline

Hidden devices and general iPhone app observations

First: I apologize if I have repeated any earlier reports.

1) Hidden Devices (Devices -> Edit Device panel -> Display in remote UI checkbox) does not work if left unchecked AND the Devices are viewed in a Folder. The device still appears in the iPhone app. Note that hiding DOES work for Devices not "assigned" to a folder and also works properly for Action Groups.
    NEW INFORMATION: See followup post.

2) Given the use of folders (I have one setup just for Motion Detectors that cannot actually be managed) it would be nice to have invisible folders. In my case, since I can't manage any of the devices in the folder, why bother to see the folder at all in the iPhone app?

3) In the Variables display on the iPhone, at times the value displays on the same logical line as the variable name. I cannot make this repeat.

4) Could there be a way to "hide" individual variables?

5) In the Devices iPhone panel the operation is awkward... the modal control window opens but has no close [X] option. Just tapping the screen elsewhere is not intuitive.

6) Devices panel again. It seems intuitive to simply "touch" the device to toggle it, but that would not allow dimmer control. So, then, toggle on tap unless brightness levels are available for the device, then the modal window could open. Just a thought.

7) It would be nice to be able to define a default "page" (I.e. folder, control page, etc.) to open to when the app starts. Opening to a list of the Devices folders is not always (or even usually) what I want first.

Richard
Last edited by berkinet on Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Sun Jan 04, 2009 4:54 pm
berkinet offline

Re: Hidden devices and general iPhone app observations

berkinet wrote:
1) Hidden Devices (Devices -> Edit Device panel -> Display in remote UI checkbox) does not work if left unchecked AND the Devices are viewed in a Folder. The device still appears in the iPhone app. Note that hiding DOES work for Devices not "assigned" to a folder and also works properly for Action Groups.

Additional information. I doubled checked this observation and found that hiding seems to work properly for switches, lamp/appliance modules, etc. But, NOT for Motion Detectors like the new INSTEON 2420M.

Richard

Posted on
Mon Jan 05, 2009 12:52 pm
jamus offline

berkinet wrote:
berkinet wrote:

Additional information. I doubled checked this observation and found that hiding seems to work properly for switches, lamp/appliance modules, etc. But, NOT for Motion Detectors like the new INSTEON 2420M.

Richard

A workaround that I'm using is to create a folder, move the motion detectors to that folder, and then hide the folder.

Posted on
Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:08 pm
berkinet offline

jamus wrote:
berkinet wrote:
berkinet wrote:

Richard

A workaround that I'm using is to create a folder, move the motion detectors to that folder, and then hide the folder.

Ok, that is exactly what I want to do. How did you hide the folder?

Richard

Posted on
Mon Jan 05, 2009 1:14 pm
berkinet offline

jamus wrote:
berkinet wrote:
berkinet wrote:

Richard

OK, had tried right-clicking on a folder before and it did nothing, but I just tried again and, voila, it worked. Must be my flaky mouse.

Thanks,

Richard

Posted on
Wed Jan 07, 2009 7:40 am
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Hi Richard,

Most of these issues are on the known issues list. Additionally, the next beta will have a close 'X' control for the popup device UI. Thanks for the feedback!

Page 1 of 1