Indigo Touch Feedback

Posted on
Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:05 pm
Estranged offline

Indigo Touch Feedback

First off, the app works great! Very responsive, it found my server automatically, setup was a breeze.

I have a couple of UI suggestions

* I like having a few top level devices / actions that aren't in folders, so I have the fastest access to them. However they currently appear below the folder items. Can the un-foldered actions appear in the list first, followed by folders?

* Settings button is on every tab view, and I find I frequently hit it on accident. It is right where the 'back' functionality is on any view stack, so I think that's what I'm expecting. Maybe move it to the right side, or add a 5th button on the bottom controller?

* Settings Edit behavior. This is really nit-picky, but it looks odd to have only your added items slide over to accommodate the remove button. It might look better to slide everything over, and only put the remove button on the appropriate ones.

* Settings Edit: Why does the "done" button disappear if I'm in edit mode? Ahh because in Edit mode, the Edit button becomes done, and having two done buttons would be odd. Maybe change the right side done to "Close Settings" or something and leave it up all the time?

* Updating device states: I'm always after the fastest way to do things with the least amount of taps/swipes. For most devices I'm looking at a simple on/off toggle. The dim functionality is nice to have, but i'd be happy with it a few more taps away if simply tapping on the device name in the table view would toggle its state. Maybe add one of those 'detail disclosure' blue arrows to bring up the more detail view that is currently default. EDIT: I see this is in the known issues list, so yay!

And last, a feature request:

Is there a way to have Indigo Touch launch the iTunes Remote app? One of the things I do a lot is use indigo to launch iTunes, since it isn't always running, and the swap to Remote to control it. Script, special Touch app actions, I don't really have any idea on how this would be accomplished :D

Keep up the great work!

- Mark

Posted on
Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:27 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo Touch Feedback

Estranged wrote:
First off, the app works great! Very responsive, it found my server automatically, setup was a breeze.

Thanks! Matt's spent a lot of time on setup, etc. One thing you'll find is that if you leave your house (and are using goprism), the connection will automatically switch to goprism behind the scenes. Pretty cool...

Estranged wrote:
* I like having a few top level devices / actions that aren't in folders, so I have the fastest access to them. However they currently appear below the folder items. Can the un-foldered actions appear in the list first, followed by folders?

This has been an ongoing discussion between Matt and I. My suspicion is that there will be a three-way split between those that: a) want them on the top, b) want them on the bottom, c) want the list alphabetic regardless of type. You've just cast the first vote! ;)

Estranged wrote:
* Settings button is on every tab view, and I find I frequently hit it on accident. It is right where the 'back' functionality is on any view stack, so I think that's what I'm expecting. Maybe move it to the right side, or add a 5th button on the bottom controller?

I pointed this out to Matt last night - however, he's following Apple's Remote application as the example on this one. If more people make this suggestion I suspect he'll give in... ;)

Estranged wrote:
Is there a way to have Indigo Touch launch the iTunes Remote app? One of the things I do a lot is use indigo to launch iTunes, since it isn't always running, and the swap to Remote to control it. Script, special Touch app actions, I don't really have any idea on how this would be accomplished :D

Interesting thought. You'd expect it to be an action on a control page?

Thanks for the feedback!

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:58 pm
dnomode offline

(No subject)

Estranged wrote:
Is there a way to have Indigo Touch launch the iTunes Remote app? One of the things I do a lot is use indigo to launch iTunes, since it isn't always running, and the swap to Remote to control it. Script, special Touch app actions, I don't really have any idea on how this would be accomplished
This would be very cool, however I would prefer to launch the Sonos.app

Ed

Posted on
Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:02 pm
Estranged offline

Re: Indigo Touch Feedback

jay wrote:
Estranged wrote:

Interesting thought. You'd expect it to be an action on a control page?

Thanks for the feedback!

I think having it as an option somewhere in an action group, that way it could be triggered from anywhere. A new action type, like "Indigo Touch" or something. Then you could do things like, launch Remote, open URL, etc. That way the group can have an applescript action to launch itunes, followed by a touch action to launch Remote. Its very strange I know, since the action takes place on the client, and not the server, where all other actions take place. Maybe its even more generic, a client action.

jay wrote:
I pointed this out to Matt last night - however, he's following Apple's Remote application as the example on this one. If more people make this suggestion I suspect he'll give in...

I hadn't noticed this, but you're right, it is exactly how the Remote app works. It hasn't bothered me in the Remote, maybe its just that I'm really looking at Indigo as a beta tester, as opposed to just a 'user'. Ignore it for now and I'll see what I think over time.

Page 1 of 1