Modern architecture for custom UI design

Posted on
Sat Oct 27, 2018 10:22 pm
spiv offline

Modern architecture for custom UI design

This could go in several forums, but thought most applicable here.

This is an FYI - Crestron, one of the leaders in large/fully custom automation systems for residential and commercial, just revealed it's plans to migrate from their own custom UI design tools to a standards based approach using HTML5 and CSS with a Javascript object library they will supply that communicates with their hardware and systems.

There is a video they posted that explains WHY they are making this change and an overview of how it will work: https://youtu.be/aYr10wTLrN4

It provides a lot of "food for thought" on how Indigo Control pages could evolve to a more standards based, cross-platform tool. I'm not not saying this is the way to do it (or not), but I think seeing how a major industry leader is thinking about control systems UI design and programming is useful research for anyone interested in anything more than "stock" UI that comes with a system.

Disclaimer: I am not a Crestron dealer or customer, but I do work with other vendor systems and keep an eye on the range of products from DIY, Prosumer (Indigo?) and Professional (Control 4, Crestron, Savant).

Page 1 of 1