Indigo Touch Crashes on iOS 12 with iPad Mini 2

Posted on
Sat Sep 29, 2018 7:52 am
sumocomputers offline

Indigo Touch Crashes on iOS 12 with iPad Mini 2

I have a couple of iPad Mini 2 units running Indigo Touch 2.1.2.

They had been running fine for the last year, but now with iOS 12, here is what happens:

-We usually press the home button to wake up the iPad and then let it turn off after 15 minutes
-There is only one custom control page that we use, which has 6 refreshing jpg images from security cameras
-Now when we don’t use the iPad for say more than 8-16 hours, when we wake it, Indigo and it’s custom control page is gone, and we are just at the home screen
-I’m waiting for it to happen again to check if Indigo is backgrounded or actually closed, but pretty sure it’s the latter
-This behavior has happened for a few days now and on both iPads, as soon as it was on iOS 12

Posted on
Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:50 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo Touch Crashes on iOS 12 with iPad Mini 2

Thanks for the report. So, to summarize how to reproduce:

1. Open Indigo Touch to a control page that has 6 refreshing images (how often do you have them refresh?)
  2. Leave the iPad alone with IT showing that control page and wait for some number of hours (8+)
  3. Wake it up by hitting the home button

I'm wondering if something else that's using background services on your iPad is using enough resources that iOS is shutting Indigo Touch down? Also, let us know if you can determine if it's still running in the background or if it's really not running at all.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Sat Sep 29, 2018 10:57 am
sumocomputers offline

Steps are correct and the images refresh every 1 second.

There are no other apps running when the issue occurs, as these iPads only run Indigo, and always force quit anything like system settings, etc.

I’ll reply when it happens again and whether it is still running in the background or not.

Posted on
Mon Oct 01, 2018 12:50 pm
sumocomputers offline

I can confirm the Indigo app is backgrounded and not fully quit.

However, when bringing it to the foreground through the task manager, it definitely acts as though it is starting from scratch. It seems to flash and reload the whole UI.

Posted on
Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:56 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

sumocomputers wrote:
I can confirm the Indigo app is backgrounded and not fully quit.

However, when bringing it to the foreground through the task manager, it definitely acts as though it is starting from scratch. It seems to flash and reload the whole UI.

Yeah, if iOS forces it to the background then it goes into sleep mode (no connections), then when it comes to the front it has to reconnect.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Oct 03, 2018 8:39 am
sumocomputers offline

So this is still happening pretty consistently, but I have observed:

1. I can go to bed and 8-12 hours later, when I wake the iPad, Indigo is still in the foreground
2. An hour after that, I can wake the iPad again, and it is backgrounded

So the bad behavior is still happening, but steps to reproduce are not as consistent as I originally thought.

Are the device logs I can get to see what is going on? I don't mind using Xcode or something.

Posted on
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:53 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Apps can't force themselves into the background (AFAIK, Indigo Touch certainly doesn't do it), so iOS is making something else come to the front. What is in the foreground when you wake the iPad up? How do you wake it up?

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Oct 03, 2018 12:59 pm
sumocomputers offline

There are no other apps running.

I wake the iPad by just pressing the home button once to wake and once to “unlock” (no passcode).

I have been very careful not to press home too many times too quickly, which could result in an effective double press and background the app.

With iOS 11, never saw this issue.

I wonder if Indigo is consuming too much memory for these poor little iPad mini 2 units, especially with the refreshing JPGs?

Posted on
Wed Oct 03, 2018 4:30 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Indigo Touch hasn't changed therefore it's memory usage hasn't changed, so it must be something about iOS 12. We've not had any other reports of this behavior, so maybe it's specific to the mini. If you open the Console app on your Mac, you'll be able to look at the system logs on the iPad - maybe that'll shine some light on it.

Jay (Indigo Support)

Posted on
Wed Oct 03, 2018 6:21 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Are you sure Indigo Touch isn't crashing? The fact that you are being switched back to the home screen indicates that it is. Note even if it crashes you'll still see Indigo Touch in the app stack since it was last launched.

I checked and I don't have any reports of crashes from iOS 12 with an iPad Mini 2, but you may not have your iPad configured to share the crash data. If you don't try turning that on then let me know after the problem has occurred again. To enable sharing of the crash reports choose Privacy from the settings then select Analytics at the bottom and turn on Share iPhone & Watch Analytics. Finally, make sure Share with App Developers is checked.

Page 1 of 1