Indigo Touch iOS Connection problem

Posted on
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:17 am
marketability offline

Indigo Touch iOS Connection problem

This might be the same issue as an earlier post - I'll post separately for now and close it if that is the case

I think it might be related to iPad iOS 11.4.0 / .1 - I have one iPad on an older version and it doesn't seem to have the problem
I use a manually created server connection to avoid the "Updates Paused" message
After 2 - 4 hours, my iPad clients fail to connect to the server, displaying a purple message bar at the foot of the screen, that alternates between... "Connecting.." and "Failed to Connect to xxx"
The iPad is still connected to WiFi/Internet and can ping the server, the server is still running and the IP address can be pinged
After the issue occurs, changing the server connection via Settings to Bonjour connected server works but the manually created connection doesn't
If I force close Indigo touch and reopen it works fine

I had reflector turned off but the issue also occurs with it turned on
The issue seems to occur only if I use the manually created IP address connection (although I'm running tests now to check - the "updates paused" state seems to kick in before the problem occurs

Posted on
Sun Aug 26, 2018 1:32 pm
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Indigo Touch iOS Connection problem

Updates paused happens when IT is connected using the reflector and has been connected for a long time with no activity. This should never happen when you're connecting locally. This (and your other symptoms) seem to indicate that you've got some kind of local network issue that's periodically forcing your iPad to switch to it's cell connection.

If you iPad doesn't have a cell connection, then that's a different story altogether... ;)

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Mon Aug 27, 2018 12:37 am
marketability offline

Hi - no the iPads are connected over WiFi
Have done some more experimentation...

if using a manual connection to a Dynamic DNS URL that resolves to the server and a redirected port (i.e. not using reflector):
no issues and no "updates paused"

if using a manual connection local IP address:
don't get the "updates paused"
the app periodically hangs up waiting for a network connection and the safest resolution is to restart the app

if using an automatic bonjour connection:
I get the "updates paused" but understand that is by design
then periodically the app hangs up waiting for a network connection and the safest resolution is to restart the app

oddly, one of the iPads on an older version of iOS connects fine using all of the above messages and maintains its WiFi connection

Posted on
Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:40 pm
marketability offline

I'm using the ISP (BT in the UK) modem/router
I'll try resetting that and checking for updates (as it is BT I won't hold any breath!)
I can live with the behaviour by using the Dynamic DNS URL but it is odd
Thanks for the advice

Page 1 of 1