Problems connecting from iPad app

Posted on
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:08 am
PatriciaW offline

Problems connecting from iPad app

I posted this in another topic with a misleading Subject (aboutIP Server) so I am reposting it now with a more accurate description.

Frequently my iPad Indigo Touch for iOS cannot connect to the desktop app. We have two networks with different frequencies (5GHz and 2.4GHz). If I change iPad's WiFi from the 5GHz network to the 2.4GHz network it will work for a while (several hours) before failing to connect. Then I have to switch back from 2.4GHz to 5GHz. My Android app does not need to change frequencies.

The problem only started recently. iPad iOS is 11.4.1. I think that this problem started when I upgraded to iOS 11 (but not sure).

Has anyone got an idea of why this happens?

Posted on
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:21 am
Different Computers offline

Re: Problems connecting from iPad app

Is there a particular reason that you run separate wifi networks? Are they both being served from the same access point? Are they all part of the same subnet?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:35 am
WouterK offline

Hi,

I am having the same problem. Disconnect and connect again to the WiFi network works for a while and then I have to do that again.

Regards,
Wouter

Posted on
Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:15 am

Same questions about your network.

Also, are you using the reflector address, the bonjour address, or the IP address of the Indigo Mac?

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:15 am
PatriciaW offline

We have two networks because some software does not work on 5GHz networks. (We have two other networks for our IoT applications.)

We are not using reflector service, and I am using the names of the WiFi network, not IP address. I am not intentionally using Bonjour although there is mention of Bonjour when I set up the network connection.

Posted on
Tue Aug 07, 2018 9:56 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

One thing that was unclear from your other post is whether it's just Indigo Touch or whether the entire iPad is disconnecting from the network. Is it just Indigo Touch or is your iPad losing it's network connection completely?

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:07 am

PatriciaW wrote:
and I am using the names of the WiFi network, not IP address

I'm afraid I don't understand this, as this is talking about two very different things. First: the SSID of the network, second IP addresses ON those networks.

Posted on
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:32 am
PatriciaW offline

I didn't use the proper name when I said network name. I meant the SSID.

Posted on
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:34 am
PatriciaW offline

Also we use separate SSIDs for the IoT connections so that we can restrict the devices that can be accessed by IoT networks.
Last edited by PatriciaW on Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Posted on
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:38 am
PatriciaW offline

The problem is only with Indigo Touch for iOS. I can connect to the internet without problem.

And the SSID connection works 100% for my Android phone.

Posted on
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:44 am

We're still talking about two entirely different things.

1. The SSID.

2. The IP addresses.

and possibly a third: The address of the server.

So your iPad stays connected to the network, but Indigo Touch stops connecting to Indigo? Immediately after Indigo Touch fails, you can surf the web on the iPad?

In Indigo Touch, how are you specifying the address of the server?

Posted on
Tue Aug 07, 2018 10:57 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

What is the exact error that Indigo Touch gives you when it can't connect (it'll be in a purple bar just above the nav bar at the bottom)?

And, please quote the post that you're answering since there are so many questions in the topic it's kinda hard to match up your answer to the questions.

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Tue Aug 07, 2018 11:04 am
PatriciaW offline

What is the exact error that Indigo Touch gives you when it can't connect (it'll be in a purple bar just above the nav bar at the bottom)?

"Searching for local Indigo Server ...
Unable to connect to local Indigo Server."

Posted on
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:24 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

When the problem occurs, what happens if you press the settings (gear) icon in Indigo Touch then re-select your Indigo Server from the table? Does it then connect okay?

Also, try restarting your WiFi access point (and/or router if that is separate). They can get into bad states that will cause the automatic Bonjour address resolving to fail.

Posted on
Tue Aug 07, 2018 2:51 pm
PatriciaW offline

When the problem occurs, what happens if you press the settings (gear) icon in Indigo Touch then re-select your Indigo Server from the table? Does it then connect okay?

I already tried this several times and it was a very time consuming process because it did not display the SSID sometimes so I had to find out the IP address from my Android app (is there an easier way?) and it did not fix it for any time. I certainly don't want to have to do this on a regular basis. Changing SSID takes 2 seconds, If you want me to do it again to help you then let me know.

Also, try restarting your WiFi access point (and/or router if that is separate). They can get into bad states that will cause the automatic Bonjour address resolving to fail.

As above, I certainly don't want to have to do this on a regular basis. The router is shared among several family members. Wouldn't the fact that my Android app never has connection problems tend to rule that out?