Problems connecting from iPad app

Posted on
Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:10 pm
Different Computers offline

Re: Problems connecting from iPad app

PatriciaW wrote:
because it did not display the SSID

The SSID does not ever display in the Indigo Touch app under Settings. I mean, unless your Indigo Mac is named the exact same thing as your SSID! But even then, it's not really the SSID. It's the name of the Mac.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 6:20 am
PatriciaW offline

When the problem occurs, what happens if you press the settings (gear) icon in Indigo Touch then re-select your Indigo Server from the table? Does it then connect okay?

Please ignore my earlier comment about finding the IP address. The issue was that when I tried to enter the IP address it did not find the entry. Eventually the Server Name showed up and I do not remember what I did to get that to show. What I could not find was the server name. It does not appear on the Android, nor on the desktop.

Also, try restarting your WiFi access point (and/or router if that is separate). They can get into bad states that will cause the automatic Bonjour address resolving to fail.

Yesterday we reset the router (ASUS) but within 6 hours the connection failed and I had to switch SSID to connect.

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:04 am

PatriciaW wrote:
Yesterday we reset the router (ASUS) but within 6 hours the connection failed and I had to switch SSID to connect.

Please confirm that when the failure to connect happens, that you have other connectivity BEFORE you do the SSID switch fix.

SmartThings refugee, so happy to be on Indigo. Monterey on a base M1 Mini w/Harmony Hub, Hue, DomoPad, Dynamic URL, Device Extensions, HomeKitLink, Grafana, Plex, uniFAP, Fantastic Weather, Nanoleaf, LED Simple Effects, Bond Home, Camect.

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:48 am
PatriciaW offline

The SSID does not ever display in the Indigo Touch app under Settings. I mean, unless your Indigo Mac is named the exact same thing as your SSID! But even then, it's not really the SSID. It's the name of the Mac.

I meant the local server name.

In Indigo Touch, how are you specifying the address of the server?

When I tried to connect it didn't show the local server name so I entered the IP address but that didn't work either. Now I suspect that it was because I was connected to the wrong (i.e. not working) SSID and if I had switched SSID I would have seen the local server name.

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:51 am
PatriciaW offline

Please confirm that when the failure to connect happens, that you have other connectivity BEFORE you do the SSID switch fix.

I don't know what you mean by "other connectivity". I only do the SSID switch when I do not have the other connectivity.

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 9:00 am

You said you couldn't connect to the Indigo Server with the iPad, but you could for example surf the internet.

I want to make sure that you can surf the internet (=other connectivity) at the same time when you cannot contact the Indigo server. If, as I suspect, when you lose Indigo Touch connectivity, you lose all internet, the problem is not with Indigo.

Also, when you try to connect to the Indigo server, are you using an internal IP address?

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:15 am
jay (support) offline
Site Admin

PatriciaW wrote:
The issue was that when I tried to enter the IP address it did not find the entry. Eventually the Server Name showed up and I do not remember what I did to get that to show. What I could not find was the server name.

If the server isn't showing up automatically or is taking a long time to appear, then something is wrong with your network and Bonjour resolution isn't working (or is flakey). You'll need to check your router's configuration to make sure that there's nothing blocking UPnP and/or Bonjour. This is likely also why it works for a while and then stops - the Bonjour resolution isn't happening or is taking a very long time. As I said in the other thread, this seems to indicate that you are having some kind of network issue.

PatriciaW wrote:
It does not appear on the Android, nor on the desktop.

What doesn't appear? The Mac client doesn't use bonjour to connect to the server so it never shows the server name by discovery...

Jay (Indigo Support)
Twitter | Facebook | LinkedIn

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 11:31 am
PatriciaW offline

You said you couldn't connect to the Indigo Server with the iPad, but you could for example surf the internet.

I want to make sure that you can surf the internet (=other connectivity) at the same time when you cannot contact the Indigo server. If, as I suspect, when you lose Indigo Touch connectivity, you lose all internet, the problem is not with Indigo.

Also, when you try to connect to the Indigo server, are you using an internal IP address?

I could access the internet all the time.

At all times I was using the two SSIDs for network access (in the iPad settings - not Indigo touch). I tried to use an IP address but I couldn't.

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 1:20 pm
FlyingDiver offline

I think there's something flaky going on between the two different WiFi networks. Like they're on different access points and different subnets or something like that. And the iPad is switching between the two so it's loosing the bonjour settings for the other subnet.

Patricia - I've run a lot of different software on a lot of different networks and WiFi setups, and I've never heard of any software that would run on a 2.4GHz network and not a 5GHz (or vice versa). Can you be a little more specific about what software is having problems on which network? I'll bet that if we could figure out how to eliminate one or the other your problem would go away. Or, just make sure that both frequencies are available from the same access points and are on the same network, it would fix things as well.

The following info will help pin this down:

1. Go to Settings app on the iPad. Select the Wi-Fi section.
2. Connect to one of your Wifi networks. Touch the I-in-a-circle icon.
3. Write down the Wifi network name, IP address, and Subnet Mask.
4. Connect to the other Wifi network. Repeat the step above.

Post that info here.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:36 pm
PatriciaW offline

Patricia - I've run a lot of different software on a lot of different networks and WiFi setups, and I've never heard of any software that would run on a 2.4GHz network and not a 5GHz (or vice versa). Can you be a little more specific about what software is having problems on which network? I'll bet that if we could figure out how to eliminate one or the other your problem would go away. Or, just make sure that both frequencies are available from the same access points and are on the same network, it would fix things as well.

I don't want to get sidetracked on this issue - I just mentioned it as a reason for having two SSIDs. It was a long time ago and probably was related to IoT devices such as thermostats.

I also do not think they are the issue since the Android app runs without difficulty.

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 7:50 pm
FlyingDiver offline

PatriciaW wrote:
I don't want to get sidetracked on this issue - I just mentioned it as a reason for having two SSIDs. It was a long time ago and probably was related to IoT devices such as thermostats.

I also do not think they are the issue since the Android app runs without difficulty.

But if you switching SSIDs fixes the issue, then it is related.

joe (aka FlyingDiver)
my plugins: http://forums.indigodomo.com/viewforum.php?f=177

Posted on
Wed Aug 08, 2018 10:05 pm
RogueProeliator offline

That would be the first thing to check. No need for people trying to resolve an issue that could be fixed in a newer firmware release. Indigo Touch uses mDNS, Domotics Pad does not. So if your router is having an issue with mDNS it will impact Indigo Touch but Domotics Pad will not.

FWIW, it does do discovery using multicast DNS. But still, while it gives some hints that one continues to run, there are plenty opportunities for differences between the hardware and software. I, like others, suspect there is a network issue somewhere.

Patricia, is there any chance that your iPad could be getting in an IP conflict (that is, you have two devices reserved to the same IP address)? It also could be some type of hardware issue, of course. Perhaps a wipe of the iPad would be in order and start fresh?

Posted on
Thu Aug 09, 2018 5:56 am
PatriciaW offline

I appreciate the assistance that everyone has provided.

I don't know if I said this earlier but I suspect that this is an Apple problem since for a long time (years?) the iPad Indigo Touch worked without problem with the current network. This problem started about a month ago. I also posted a question to the Apple Forum but so far no one has replied. I posted to this forum partly to let others with the same problem (there was one other) know how I circumvented it. But I am not prepared to make major changes to the network given that I can get the app to work by changing the SSID which takes a few seconds.

Thanks to everyone who replied.

Posted on
Thu Aug 09, 2018 9:21 am
PatriciaW offline

The following info will help pin this down:

1. Go to Settings app on the iPad. Select the Wi-Fi section.
2. Connect to one of your Wifi networks. Touch the I-in-a-circle icon.
3. Write down the Wifi network name, IP address, and Subnet Mask.
4. Connect to the other Wifi network. Repeat the step above.

I'm sorry I didn't answer this before I ended this post but I did check the settings and both are the same:
ipv4 192.168.0.137
subnet 255.255.255.0
router 192.168.0.1
(these are the desktop settings)

Posted on
Mon Aug 13, 2018 6:10 am
PatriciaW offline

I found this: https://appletoolbox.com/2017/02/wifi-d ... pdate-fix/ which confirms my suspicion that it is an Apple bug and caused by the most recent version of iOS in June. One other solution I just discovered is to turn WiFi off and back on.