Issue with device status refresh on control pages

Posted on
Wed Jun 01, 2016 9:03 am
sumocomputers offline

Issue with device status refresh on control pages

I have an issue with the device status refreshing correctly on control pages.

I am running Indigo Server 6.1.9 and iPad Mini 2s on iOS 9.3.2 with Indigo Touch 2.

I am having an issue that when device states are changed outside of the touch interface (like someone physically turns on a switch), the state on the touch interface is not always refreshed. I am using two different custom PNG images for control and feedback. Here is a screenshot of the button/feedback config:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/408a8cjf3jbmh ... 1.png?dl=0

The workaround is that I can go out and back into the control page, or simply send a refresh all device command. Here is a video that demonstrates the problem:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/zr4krxvjyclpg ... 1.mp4?dl=0

In the video above, the Kitchen & Living Room devices are actually on, and the Front Path is actually off. In this case I left the control page and came back, and all was good.

The embedded video feed which is a refreshing image URL is constantly updating in all cases, so I know the WiFi and connection to the Indigo server is working to some degree when the device state is not.

I could probably setup an "all device refresh" schedule every 5 or 10 minutes, but would rather solve the root issue.

Steps to reproduce:
1. Turn on a device directly like a SwitchLinc Relay with i2
2. Observe on iPad that device state is updated immediately
3. Let the iPad go to sleep
4. Turn off the SwitchLinc Relay device directly
5. Come back much later (like the next morning) and wake up/unlock the iPad
6. Observe that the true status is not reflected (still shows it is on)
7. Observe that the refreshing image feed is correctly streaming

Posted on
Wed Jun 15, 2016 1:33 pm
matt (support) offline
Site Admin

Re: Issue with device status refresh on control pages

I've tried reproducing the problem with Indigo Touch 2 running on an iPhone 6 (also iOS 9.3.2), but didn't see the problem. I let the phone auto-lock/sleep, then waited several more minutes (and did a manual state change on a device) but it updated immediately when I woke the phone.

Does the problem only occur if you let is sleep for a very long time (over night)? And in that case does the problem happen 100% of the time?

Posted on
Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:01 pm
srkinard offline

Are the devices showing their correct status on the Indigo server but not the iPad?

The only time I have an issue similar to this is when I use the crappy GE 45631 keypad controller I have. Since it's a poor implementation of a Z-Wave device, the only real use for it is as a group controller for ON/OFF. It communicates directly to the Z-Wave nodes you include in its group definitions.

If I use this keypad to turn any devices ON or OFF, they don't actually report their state-change back to Indigo. So I just scheduled a refresh action for the devices it touches so they update their status every 5 minutes.

Just curious if the issue is iPad->Indigo communication or Device->Indigo communication...my issue is definitely device->Indigo since the controller bypasses Indigo and directly affects the switches.

Posted on
Wed Jun 15, 2016 11:02 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Code: Select all
I am using two different custom PNG images for control and feedback.

If that image is a toggle with a state for both on an off, might try renaming to where you have three images:

Indigo_Square_225_2x+.png
Indigo_Square_225_2x+on.png
Indigo_Square_225_2x+off.png

And then select the first in the control page (note the + sign ending the file name).

Adam

Posted on
Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:27 am
sumocomputers offline

matt (support) wrote:
I've tried reproducing the problem with Indigo Touch 2 running on an iPhone 6 (also iOS 9.3.2), but didn't see the problem. I let the phone auto-lock/sleep, then waited several more minutes (and did a manual state change on a device) but it updated immediately when I woke the phone.

Does the problem only occur if you let is sleep for a very long time (over night)? And in that case does the problem happen 100% of the time?

The problem only occurs if it is sleeping for a very long time, though I can't say if that is 4 hours, or 8 hours, or more, but I only notice after several hours. And the reproducibility is about 25% of the time.

Posted on
Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:35 am
sumocomputers offline

srkinard wrote:
Are the devices showing their correct status on the Indigo server but not the iPad?

The only time I have an issue similar to this is when I use the crappy GE 45631 keypad controller I have. Since it's a poor implementation of a Z-Wave device, the only real use for it is as a group controller for ON/OFF. It communicates directly to the Z-Wave nodes you include in its group definitions.

If I use this keypad to turn any devices ON or OFF, they don't actually report their state-change back to Indigo. So I just scheduled a refresh action for the devices it touches so they update their status every 5 minutes.

Just curious if the issue is iPad->Indigo communication or Device->Indigo communication...my issue is definitely device->Indigo since the controller bypasses Indigo and directly affects the switches.

On your last point, good question. I know when I see the issue, the iPad is communicating with Indigo server fine, since things like my refreshing image video cam feeds work fine. But if I go to the Indigo on the Mac, the correct device state is reflected there too. So I am leaning toward a bug in the Indigo server or iOS client specific to control pages and refreshing device state, but just a guess.

Posted on
Fri Jun 17, 2016 6:38 am
sumocomputers offline

RogueProeliator wrote:
Code: Select all
I am using two different custom PNG images for control and feedback.

If that image is a toggle with a state for both on an off, might try renaming to where you have three images:

Indigo_Square_225_2x+.png
Indigo_Square_225_2x+on.png
Indigo_Square_225_2x+off.png

And then select the first in the control page (note the + sign ending the file name).

Adam

I can certainly give this a try.

Just curious, what would the difference between the 1st and 3rd image?

Posted on
Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:49 am
RogueProeliator offline

According to the [url=http://wiki.indigodomo.com/doku.php?id=cp_custom_images&s[]=image&s[]=heuristics]image heuristics[/url], the "newer" and more advanced way to specify the images is to end the base with the plus sign which is the default. SO, you are correct that the first and third are pretty redundant. I tend to just be a bit more explicit - and you can even make some notation on them to see when the fallback has occurred and not the "off". Although not likely your case, it has happened in the forums where someone doing this realized the values were NOT coming in as "on" and "off" -- maybe in an error or unexpected return. More common with variables being set from other sources than a device state of course... but never hurts.

BTW, I think your original should have worked on the iPad, but might be safer to use the newer/more explicit naming convention.

Adam

Posted on
Fri Jun 17, 2016 3:48 pm
sumocomputers offline

I made the changes to now have 3 different images, and will see how it goes.

Posted on
Wed Oct 12, 2016 10:30 am
sumocomputers offline

Just wanted to follow up on this.

A few months back, I dug in, and found that my Carbon Copy Cloner had an action to reboot the Mac Mini after every successful backup, which was happening every morning at 3am.

Once I turned this off, problem was solved.

Page 1 of 1