Guest access

Posted on
Fri Jun 05, 2015 10:42 pm
jeff-4 offline

Guest access

I am a newbie here, so I hope this isn't a stupid question. I would like to have a guest be able to access, via Indigo Touch, an outside light that is controlled by an Insteon switch but not access the rest of my devices. The switch is inside the house, but our WiFi network can be accessed from the outside. I am thinking of a scenario where the guest is returning to the house and wants to turn on this outside light from his smart phone, e.g., to better see the lock. However, I do not want him to be able to access all the other lights controlled by Indigo. I realize that one way to do this is to simply disable all other devices, but I want to keep these available on my iPhone. So, it seems that I need a separate server of sorts...? Any suggestions?

Posted on
Fri Jun 05, 2015 11:17 pm
RogueProeliator offline

Re: Guest access

I am a newbie here, so I hope this isn't a stupid question. I would like to have a guest be able to access, via Indigo Touch, an outside light that is controlled by an Insteon switch but not access the rest of my devices.

No stupid questions, but unfortunately what you describe isn't possible in Indigo Touch, nor via the web. There isn't really a concept of multiple users with multiple permission sets (and that includes a guest user).

I am thinking of a scenario where the guest is returning to the house and wants to turn on this outside light from his smart phone, e.g., to better see the lock.

Perhaps a motion sensor that, when it is dark and motion is detected, turns on the light? Could also go with a photo beam sensor (in lieu of the motion detector).

Adam

Posted on
Sat Jun 06, 2015 4:47 am
howartp offline

User access permissions is something that's asked quite a bit and I'm sure it's on the dev's desired list, but they haven't got around to it yet

Posted on
Sat Jun 06, 2015 12:42 pm
jeff-4 offline

Thanks!

Page 1 of 1